Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8 Late Student Loan Payments Removed - No Score Change

tag
Deirdre316

8 Late Student Loan Payments Removed - No Score Change

Need Help!

After months of fighting with NelNet I finally was able to get them to agree they reported me late on my two student loans in error. They removed 4 late payments from each loan, (Nov 18, Dec 18, Jan 19 and Feb 19); however there was no change to my score. I called Experian and the agent had no idea and said it didn't make sense. He said the dispute was processed and resolved and suggested contacting a credit advisor.

NelNet had removed one late payment at the end of Jan 2020 and I saw an increase of 35 points, and the payment was from 2017. Since these were more recent, I expected some change. I first noticed the payments removed the weekend of March 7th, does it just take time for the score the change? When the other late payment was removed I received a notification on Credit Karma, but for these I have not yet.

I am also working with (mod cut) and so far not impressed. I have only seen my score decrease. Thoughtd, ideas, suggestions? I am trying to buy a house and no matter what I do... cant get my score where I need it.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: 8 Late Student Loan Payments Removed - No Score Change

@Deirdre316 wrote:

Need Help!

After months of fighting with NelNet I finally was able to get them to agree they reported me late on my two student loans in error. They removed 4 late payments from each loan, (Nov 18, Dec 18, Jan 19 and Feb 19); however there was no change to my score. I called Experian and the agent had no idea and said it didn't make sense. He said the dispute was processed and resolved and suggested contacting a credit advisor.

NelNet had removed one late payment at the end of Jan 2020 and I saw an increase of 35 points, and the payment was from 2017. Since these were more recent, I expected some change. I first noticed the payments removed the weekend of March 7th, does it just take time for the score the change? When the other late payment was removed I received a notification on Credit Karma, but for these I have not yet.

I am also working with Lexington Law and so far not impressed. I have only seen my score decrease. Thoughtd, ideas, suggestions? I am trying to buy a house and no matter what I do... cant get my score where I need it.

Thanks!

What score model(s) are you looking at and how are you monitoring for changes? I ask because you mentioned credit Karma and trying to buy a house. Mortgage scores are not the ones you can easily monitor with only a handful of companies that offer them (and most of those companies only update once per month)

Message 2 of 4
Deirdre316

Hi, I am reviewing FICO for my actual ability to qualify. But monitoring CK for changes to my CR. There was a late payment removed in Jan (I don't know when) but I saw a score change on CK on Feb 1st, as well as an alert that a change to my payment history occurred.

I was watching for the removal of the most recent payments, and first noticed them changed around March 7th. However, I have not received a payment history alert from CK, or a change in score.

If this will only happen monthly, and I potentially will see the change I was anticipating at the beginning of April... I am hopeful Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Deirdre316 wrote:

Need Help!

I am also working with (mod cut- per TOS, we don't discuss CRO) and so far not impressed. I have only seen my score decrease. 

Thanks!

This could be one of your issues. Besides anything they can do for you for a fee, you can do your self for free. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.