Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAYA turned 1Yr...No score increase?

tag
Fated4Credit
Regular Contributor

AAYA turned 1Yr...No score increase?

My youngest account which is discover it recently turned a year old this month, in fact my statement came out today & I got a 12 point boost from my utilization going from 23% to 14%. The balance is now 559/2600 but shouldn't I have gotten a bigger increase though in addition to lowering my utilization?

I also have a Cap One QS (PC'ed from secured platinum) from April 2017 that's going to report 100/1511 bring my utilization to 17% on the 15th & I'm expecting to lose a few points from that. So I want to know should I expect an increase in my scores from my discover card then or when my statement came out that was it, because I still have a balance. My EX score is currently 733 through my monthly experian subscription, don't know my other 2 scores until mid next month. Thanks in advance for any input.
Discover: $15,900
Cap One QS: $4811
CFU: $8,000
PPMC: $12,000
US Bank Cash+: $13,000
Penfed Powercash Rewards: $7,500
AAOA: 3.5 yrs
Experian (Fico 8) 756
Transunion (Fico 8) 757
Equifax (Fico 8) 764
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AAYA turned 1Yr...No score increase?

What did you notice in your scores on the 1st of the month?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My youngest account which is discover it recently turned a year old this month, in fact my statement came out today & I got a 12 point boost from my utilization going from 23% to 14%. The balance is now 559/2600 but shouldn't I have gotten a bigger increase though in addition to lowering my utilization?

No.  Movement from 23% to 14% utilization (or vice versa) would not result in a score change related to utilization.  Thresholds exist at 8.9% and 28.9% and your movement before/after was within that range.  Without crossing either of those thresholds, you wouldn't expect to see a score change from utilization.

That being said, I believe the 12 point gain you received likely was from your AoYA reaching 12 months.  What's throwing you off here is that the alert you received referenced your balance paydown.  At that time you were provided with a new score, but that new score wasn't as a result of the alert (balance paydown).  Your AoYA reaching 12 months is not an alertable event, so the points gained from that would come without notice (no alert). 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You wouldn't get a scoring bump going from 23% to 14% because you didn't cross over any scoring threshold. The points gain was probably for AoYA because all age related changes happens on the 1st of the month (if the Discover was opened in the month of Nov 2017) as maize hinted.

Edit: beaten by BBS

Message 4 of 7
Fated4Credit
Regular Contributor

Honestly wasn't paying that close attention to the 1st, my score last month was 721 & I was more expecting a boost from my util. going down. I thought my youngest card would get a score boost when my discover statement came out, so wasn't really concerned about my discover card at the time.
Experian (Fico 8) 756
Transunion (Fico 8) 757
Equifax (Fico 8) 764
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The credit reporting agencies use the 1st of the month when calculating account age.  So if you were monitoring your credit scores you should have noticed a score increase on Nov. 1.

Message 6 of 7
Fated4Credit
Regular Contributor

Okay thanks for clearing up the confusion. This is actually the main reason why I held off on applying for my third card until May 2019 because I wanted to see the score boost from AoYA & I completely missed it when it happened, taking it for something else 🤦
Experian (Fico 8) 756
Transunion (Fico 8) 757
Equifax (Fico 8) 764
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.