Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAoA 4 years --> FICO 2 +8

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AAoA 4 years --> FICO 2 +8

BBS IMHO Those gains we see at 3 and 6 months are on thin files. Those awards may be tied to establishing payment history on new accounts and have nothing to do with AoYA.

Remember, if one gets a loan and simply makes payments for a time, points are awarded, irrespective of B/L. Likewise, having a new revolver on a thin file is great and may give points for reducing the "too few bankcard" penalty, but once the person establishes 3-6 months payment history, I posit points are awarded for establishing that positive payment history.

Stated differently, I believe we may be misattributing the awards to AoYA simply because they correlate. But correlation is not tantamount to causation. Accounts age on the first; an award for establishing positive payment history would logically occur then as well.

To butress my opinion, this does not occur on thick (established, proven) accounts.

Next, excellent question. AoOA is a segmentation factor leading to scorecard which dictates signal strength of attributes and establishes min/max scores, from my understanding.

So, no, I don't believe it can independently award points. I believe it can cause scorecard change which would then almost inevitably cause score changes.

Wish TT could chime in, there was a post from him I was looking for.
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Idkcivilservant Am I understanding you correctly that you have only checked your FICO 8s? (I've never used CCT.)

So the variants may have also changed?
Message 12 of 21
ldkcivilservant
Frequent Contributor

Experian provides their industry specific scores - I have seen these and they didn't change.

NFCU Platinum $50k | Amex Delta Platinum $25k | Elan Financial $19.7k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $16k | Bank Americard $16k | Discover IT $13K | NFCU Flagship Rewards $10k | GS AppleCard $5.5k | Citi Simplicity $3k
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmmm, I'd love to hear from TT. I wonder if a scorecard reassignment could occur and not affect score variants. I've recently read threads where 6 years could've been scorecard reassignments for AoOA.

I'm one who believes its at a lower number.
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just as a quick note, I just received points at all three bureaus it appears for three months on my new installment loan. There’s no other reason for the score increase then I can determine, decipher, or imagine. I now plan to be on the lookout at six months.

I got two points at Experian two points at TransUnion and six points at Equifax. The only other change was reporting an account with a balance with a few hundred dollars and that certainly didn’t cause my score to rise.

I will note I’m looking at the awards from MF alerts so I can’t determine the exact date necessarily. they are marked the second and third so it may go by when it’s reported as opposed to the first for establishing positive payment history or it could just be the traditional bureaus being late or MF being delayed. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

BBS To go one step further, those people who think they are seeing AoYA awards on dirty files, I don’t believe they are. I believe a AOYA for version eight is 12 months only, scorecard reassignment.

I believe they are seeing awards for positive payment history at three and six months of having a new account.

I would very much like to hear your thoughts?
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Stated differently, I believe we may be misattributing the awards to AoYA simply because they correlate. But correlation is not tantamount to causation. Accounts age on the first; an award for establishing positive payment history would logically occur then as well.

On March 1st I reached 3 months AoYA. There were only 2 'OK's' for payments recorded on my Experian CreditWorks Premium report at that time - January and Feburary.

Checking the next Experian report on March 10 shows 3 'OK's for payments, but there can't be any record of the 3rd actual payment since I made it after the statement was reported, like a lot of people do.

Those 'OK's for payments are really just '3 months without a reported late' rather than 3 actual payments made.

I still received +23pts on EX FICO 8 at AoYA 3mo with only 2 of those 'OK's showing, and before either of my 2 cards had reported their statement balances for February charges. The third actual payment (for March statement balance) wouldn't even show until April's report.

Next, excellent question. AoOA is a segmentation factor leading to scorecard which dictates signal strength of attributes and establishes min/max scores, from my understanding.

So, no, I don't believe it can independently award points. I believe it can cause scorecard change which would then almost inevitably cause score changes.

Age has to be one of the factors, but there could be so many more all taken together - like thin/thick, clean/dirty, credit account mix, etc. 

The data the bureaus have collected over the years tells a story (weight of evidence/information value tables)  which guides the creation of the scorecards.

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
BBS To go one step further, those people who think they are seeing AoYA awards on dirty files, I don’t believe they are. I believe a AOYA for version eight is 12 months only, scorecard reassignment.

I believe they are seeing awards for positive payment history at three and six months of having a new account.

I would very much like to hear your thoughts?

Or, is it possible that they're seeing awards for the aging if recent negative(s)... which is sort of another way to view positive payment history, perhaps a glass half full vs glass half empty perspective?

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CassieCard As usual, you’re right, my language is sloppy. I should’ve stated I believe it awards points when an account turns three months of age without any delinquencies, but that I don’t believe it derives from AOYA, I believe it derives from payment history.

As a matter of fact, the points I can only explain as a result of my loan turning three months old, well only two payments have been made. And its not from AOYA because remember it did not reset it.

Speaking of which, I can’t wait to see year awards when you’re AOYA hits 12 months!! And I do not believe that it was lessened by your awards at three and six months.

From my research and understanding, FICO segmentation for clean files is different than for dirty files. Dirty files are not segmented on thick/thin, aged/nonaged, new account/no new account as are clean profiles. However, there is segmentation on dirty files once the derogatories age to a threshold and AAOA is also alive and well.

That’s why you should not see a scorecard reassignment for a dirty profile due to becoming thick, due to crossing the AoOA threshold (whatever it is), or due to any AOYA penalties/awards.

And yes I agree, as time goes on and data is collected, they definitely refine the algorithms based on what they learned from the data.

There are also supposedly modifiers, that can modify scores in a particular scorecard.
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.