Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AU and refinance auto loan

tag
Mama-j
Contributor

AU and refinance auto loan

I'm added to my brother AU that has $10000 CL, no lates and low utl and I'm planning to get my car loan refi, will that AU stay in my  CR or is it like mortgage loan where they'll take AU off?

Thanks.

Starting Score: 2/22/12: EQ 530, TU 553, EX 528(lender). 12/4/12 (rebuilding starts)= EQ 599.
Current Score: 1/4/16: EQ 743, TU FICO 724, EX 737.
Goal Score: 750 all across.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AU and refinance auto loan

Not every mortgage lender will ask you to remove AU accounts. It's a YMMV-thing per lender. Auto loans are less strict. I doubt if they'd ask you to remove it.

Message 2 of 4
Mama-j
Contributor

Awesome, good to know. Thank you.

Starting Score: 2/22/12: EQ 530, TU 553, EX 528(lender). 12/4/12 (rebuilding starts)= EQ 599.
Current Score: 1/4/16: EQ 743, TU FICO 724, EX 737.
Goal Score: 750 all across.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

While having the credit of another report to your file and be scored by FICO is acceptable under the current credit reporting system, it does have a price.

When any party pulls your CR and score, they may choose to base their lending decision only or primarily on the score. Quick and easy.   In that event, the AU does not become a real issue.   Thus, a great way for some to rebuild credit.

However, when you move up in the principal requested for a loan or in the amount of CL on a revolving account, the risk to the creditor increases, and thus usually their level of scrutiny. Looking past the raw three digit score, and seeing that it is based partially on the credit history of another, they may wish to see what your score is based only on your own credit history.   They simply have no way to do that, as they dont have a copy of the FICO algorithm upon which to produce a score that reflects anything other than your full credit report.  Thus, they might either ask you to remove the AU reporting, or they may choose to discount the value of the score in their decision making.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.