Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AU is wreaking havoc on spouse!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AU is wreaking havoc on spouse!

I had added husband at the end of Dec on my capital one cc. Cap one told me by end of Jan it should report as AU on his reports. This card has a limit of 500$. I’ve had card for four years. In 2014 and 2015 it had some lates but since then has always been current. My utilization in January was a 76$ balance. Ever since adding him in Dec We never got any alerts from Credit karma about it , and we just signed up for myFICO in early Feb. and never got any alerts until today: His myFICO alerts sent these alerts today for TU: Here is what it’s stating: 1) All Bankcard credit account (s) credit limit decreased
2) The total balance on all your bankcard account (s) has decreased by 76$.
3) Your FICO Score has decreased from 621 to 606

It looks like him being an AU was a bad idea! Will his score go back? I’m hoping his score regains those points he lost.
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AU is wreaking havoc on spouse!

So it looks like he got penalized by me adding him as AU on a cc that had a lower limit. He already had three ccs that had CL of 1000$ including his own capital one card, two had 0$ balances and third one was low utilization. So my adding him caused a score drop because Fico saw the AU account as a downgrade.Since I removed him as AU last week, will the bureaus stop reporting it as such?Or does that stay for seven years and affect his score?
Unless I am reading this all wrong and maybe he lost points because I removed him as AU? The reasons given in the alerts above have me confused.Will TU or a Fico rep be able to explain this? You guys are my only hope for an explanation. Thank you.
Message 2 of 10
DollyLama
Established Contributor

If for any reason it continues to report. He can with each bureau dispute the AU account as "not mine". 

I'm not really understanding if he has 3 open CCs, with higher credit lines, and low utilization, that you would pick a lower line of credit card with late payments to be added to his reports. 

He needs to build on what he currently has. Don't know if he has some derogs, but I'm gathering by scores it is a dirty file. Need to clear those things up, build a relationship on what he has, especially if he has a pristine payment history with them, they will hopefully grant him credit line increase in the future. 

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Image-1.jpg
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way to post image of Those alerts here?
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I’ve read here elsewhere capital one will no longer report him as AU. But my concern is that 15 point drop. How long before that is regained? Will it be redeemed once he is no longer reported as AU or is the initial negative effect long lasting for a while?
Message 6 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

The balance decrease isn't going to cause a score decrease. My bet is that the decrease came because the card had lates as part of its history.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I was able to remove those lates from 2014/2015, woukd it still do more harm than good to add him in the future? Or does the fact that it has only a 500$ limit hurt (since he already has three ccs with CL of 1000$ each)?
Message 8 of 10
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

If you get the lates removed it won't hurt his score, but access to an additional $500 of credit as an au  isn't going to help much either.  

He has the three cards now so he sould be good with those provided he dosen't have high util, or lates on them. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

He lost points because of the lates only.

If his 3 personal cards are new, adding him as an AU to a 4 year old card should help, assuming the card has 0% utilization and no lates ever.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.