Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AZEO and Charge-Off Amounts

tag
800goal800
Frequent Contributor

AZEO and Charge-Off Amounts

I have a charged off account which reports every month and is in my utilization.   Does this amount count as part of AZEO ?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AZEO and Charge-Off Amounts

Are you hit with a no revolving credit use reason code if all of your other accounts have $0 balances reported?  If so, the account in question isn't contributing to use of your revolving credit.

Message 2 of 13
800goal800
Frequent Contributor

No.  I have had an open card reporting as well.  I'm trying to maximize my score for a mortgage and wonder if not showing a balance on the open card will help if the charge off account is considered as part of AZEO.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@800goal800 that is a very interesting question. Because it's updating monthly, it is contributing to revolving Balances, but is it counted in the number of accounts with a Balance Metric since the account status is closed?

It is an account with a balance. And it appears they count closed Accounts in the denominator on EX2. So will they allow it to count for the Metric in the numerator, if it's closed? And if so on all versions? very interesting question. 

I don't think the revolving activity code will be helpful here because I believe that is based on a non-zero attribute for revolving balances, not the number of accounts with a balance Metric.

do you have MF? If you go to the ingredients section, does it count the chargeoff in the number of accounts with a balance? If it does, then I would say it counts in the metric, because the same people that worked on the algorithm worked on that.

The only other way to know would be to have one someone with a small number of accounts on their credit report and then to watch the too many accounts with a balance Negative Reason Codes and know that you cross a threshold with a second account reporting a balance, or third, or whatever it may be, and be able to manipulate the code to move or disappear. 

hopefully we can get the answer by someone referencing the score ingredients section.

Keep in mind, AZEO combines the optimization of multiple Metrics, Revolving Balance, Revolving utilization, total amount owed, and number of accounts with a balance. It could also potentially add points from retail and national bankcard Metrics, Version and Bureau depending, of course. 

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would still suggest bringing all revolvers to $0 and see what happens to your scores to determine if that account balance is being considered by the algorithm.  From there you know what to do regarding AZEO.

Message 5 of 13
800goal800
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous @Does the number of accounts with balance in MF include all types ? Auto, etc ?

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@800goal800 wrote:

@Anonymous @Does the number of accounts with balance in MF include all types ? Auto, etc ?

@800goal800 I would assume that it does. The algorithm it does.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I would still suggest bringing all revolvers to $0 and see what happens to your scores to determine if that account balance is being considered by the algorithm.  From there you know what to do regarding AZEO.

I have no doubt if it's updating regularly that it is being counted in revolving balance and utilization, however it would be a very interesting test to see what the results would be.

I don't think you will see no revolving activity Negative reason code because there is a revolving balance from the regularly updating chargeoff and I believe that metric comes from revolving balances.

However what if I'm wrong and the metric is based on balances of open Revolvers? The fact that the account is closed could make a difference. I think it would be great to test.

but as far as number of accounts with a balance, that's not gonna have anything to do with the no revolving activity code, imho. That's going to be measured by the number of accounts with the balance Negative reason Code, imho. 

Message 8 of 13
800goal800
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous  I'm thinking of trying this...pay off the open revolvers and just let the charge off report. 
I'm nervous of a score drop if it doesn't work even though I know I will get the points back 

Message 9 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

When I still had a small, low APR closed account balance, I spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out if that balance counted in my utilization or not. My estimation is that it varies quite a bit, as to which score and bureau combinations include or exclude the closed balance. 

If it were me, I would leave the charge off amount as background noise, and ensure to get one active revolver always reporting the AZEO balance. The main benefit of AZEO is low utilization and if you don't pay off the charge off, that's your baseline utilization that you want to be a few dollars over with a known open card. 

For experimental purposes you may want to try all zero on open accounts, but I wouldn't try that leading up to a mortgage app. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.