cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ab-frickin-surd

tag
FecoFicoFocoFum

Ab-frickin-surd

I purchased a new home recently with no negative impact to my credit score (which was an average of 762 between the three). Because of HOA rules in the new neighborhood, we had to switch to AT&T for Internet. Today I learned (thanks to a myFICO email update) that my Experian FICO score dropped FIVE POINTS to 756 (it was 761) because of an inquiry from AT & T SERVICES INC. Are you seriously telling me that I can obtain a mortgage without impacting my FICO score, but an inquiry from AT&T for $50 per month Internet decreases a FICO score by five points? What should we have done, waited for six months to get Internet to avoid too many credit inquiries in a short period of time? This whole FICO nonsense seems very archaic.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
icebox702
Contributor

Re: Ab-frickin-surd

I agree with you! I had just posted that we had just refinanced our mortgage and it pulled our scores down by 23 points after our former lender reported "Closed Account/Zero Balance"on our mortgage.  I can't wait to see what our scores would be after the new mortgage account shows on our credit report!

FICO scores: 691 (EQ) 712 (EX) 735 (TU) 10/6 | Goal score: 750+ (all 3)
Tradelines: Diners Club (15.0k) | Citi Diamond (10.8k) | Barclaycard Ring (5.0k) | PenFed Promise (5.0k) | Chase Slate (4.8k) | Nationwide (3.75k) | Old Navy Visa (3.5k) | Sam's Club MC (2.5k) | Walmart MC (2.2k) | Barclaycard Apple (2.2k) | Amex Everyday Preferred (2.0k) | Amex PRG (NPSL) | Discover IT (1.0k) | Citi Simplicity (1.0k) | Barclaycard Rewards (250)
Message 2 of 13
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

This is why I truly don't think it's useful to get too concerned about scores unless you're planning to app for something. I got a five point drop too, (new AT & T customer!) but it rebounded in a month.

Message 3 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

There is a difference in where you are in your scores as to the importance of a score change.  Where I sit now, a +/- 20 point change in score doesn't phase me.  When I was in the rebuilding stage, a 1 point change would drive me crazy.  I think that more focus on cleaining and rebuilding should be emphasized.  Don't put all that pressure on the scores, just keep making that report clean and healthy.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 13
FecoFicoFocoFum

Good feedback, Invincible and Shogun. I guess I am overreacting. It has taken me almost seven years to recover credit-wise from a bad divorce (sub 500 FICO's), so I am probably being touchy. Oddly enough, the reason I have not been able to get above the 765 range is that I don't have enough credit.

Message 5 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Your CR might be a bit thin.  That's OK.  Youl can add as you need to.  IMHO you're sitting pretty right now.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 13
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Totally agree with Shogun - you're in a good place, and as someone who also came from a sub-500 start I can't wait to hit 700. 756 is inspiring! Nicely done!

Message 7 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, did you mean your Equifax FICO? I ask because there is no service that provides Experian FICO updates, yet alone via e-mail, though Equifax through ScoreWatch does.

It's probably been stated already but inquiry damage is no big deal. I lost a few points after the 30-45 window expired for my mortgage inquiries but lost no points when I applied for CCs the following month. It's a YMMV-thing.

Message 8 of 13
FecoFicoFocoFum

Yes, I did mean Equifax. That is the only score I get through myFICO. Although, it appears that I have the choice to get scores from Experian and Trans Union as well. Is that not the case? There are links under both logos that read "Check my FICO score."

Message 9 of 13
Kratos-TM
Frequent Contributor

What does "YMMV" mean?

Myfico scores.....
EX... 805 (11-10-13)
EQ... 810 (12-02-13)
TU... 810 (12-02-13)
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.