Did you mean: 

About to take a hit for a new account

tag
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Re: About to take a hit for a new account

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Well, my worst fears were realized.

My EX FICO 8 dropped a whopping 26 points due to my removal from the "no new accounts in 12 months" scorecard.

Whew.

Wow, that's quite a drop. Seems a little excessive to me.

I'm glad you're really enjoying the new CC though! 

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 11 of 23
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica 

I feel your pain.  While I haven't been as disciplined as you, I was perhaps a little too cavalier recently, and a combination of dropped AAoA, more than 1 in 3 cards reporting, 2% util (instead of between 0 and 1 percent) due to a couple of extraordinary expenses, and a stoopid 6 pulls on EX has me below 800 for the first time in a couple of years.

That said, my overall finances are in better shape than ever, so it's just a matter of not adding cards for a bit and the ship should right itself forthwith.  (Indeed, EX's score simulator has me up 5 points next month.)

Time heals all FICO wounds.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 12 of 23
Phana24
Regular Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

My EX FICO 8 dropped a whopping 26 points due to my removal from the "no new accounts in 12 months" scorecard.

Whew.

Relax, SJ, that's the whole point of doing what we do.  We get our scores where they need to be to get the card, loan, mortgage, etc. that we need want, and we are prepared for the worst-case scenario.  For me, this sure beats the hell out of the days(pre-My Fico Forums) where I'd get rejected early in my rebuild because Credit Sesame said I was a great match, and then I have another inquiry with ZERO to show for it.

Message 13 of 23
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Whew.

@SJ,

That is quite the hitSmiley Indifferent .. you know what they say; "It is the price you pay for credit"

One thing I never have to worry about, as I am always at max penalty, due to my non-gardening credit behavior.

Always at new account max penalty.

My FICO8 did not budge for almost a whole year. Just thought it was a broken clock, like meSmiley Tongue

Message 14 of 23
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@expatCanuck wrote:

@SouthJamaica 

I feel your pain.  While I haven't been as disciplined as you, I was perhaps a little too cavalier recently, and a combination of dropped AAoA, more than 1 in 3 cards reporting, 2% util (instead of between 0 and 1 percent) due to a couple of extraordinary expenses, and a stoopid 6 pulls on EX has me below 800 for the first time in a couple of years.

That said, my overall finances are in better shape than ever, so it's just a matter of not adding cards for a bit and the ship should right itself forthwith.  (Indeed, EX's score simulator has me up 5 points next month.)

Time heals all FICO wounds.

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt, but the long drought wasn't due to my "discipline" (I have none). It was due to no applications being granted, due to my creeping utilization Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 15 of 23
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Phana24 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Whew.

Relax, SJ, that's the whole point of doing what we do.  We get our scores where they need to be to get the card, loan, mortgage, etc. that we need want, and we are prepared for the worst-case scenario.  For me, this sure beats the hell out of the days(pre-My Fico Forums) where I'd get rejected early in my rebuild because Credit Sesame said I was a great match, and then I have another inquiry with ZERO to show for it.

That is a very good point.  Until I started getting into this subject, I really had no clue how this stuff works, or where I stood in the credit world.  And yes, the first source I turned to was Credit Karma, which gave me a whole lot of misdirection, especially giving me the impression that the more accounts I opened, the higher my scores would be.

As the headline of the original post in this thread indicates, I was fully expecting to take the beating I took, and do understand exactly what caused it.  And as you say, it is much better to be in that position than to be caught unaware.

And I do love the card I just got, and the credit union I got it from, so it was worth it I guess.

Message 16 of 23
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Update 12/23:  My TU FICO 8 dropped 18 points. And my EQ FICO 8 dropped 12.

Message 17 of 23
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

All quite sensitive. What's your overall util?

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 23
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Junejer wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

35%.

Message 19 of 23
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Junejer wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

35%.

Will be an interesting science experiment to see if the sensitivity lessens when you hit 28%, then 8%. I had two new accounts report this month and my score dropped a bit, but I'm guessing it was due to too many accounts with balances versus taking a new account hit. The minute the next account reported $0 balance, the scores rebounded. Now 3/7 are reporting a balance. Next week, there will be 2/7 reporting a balance, and I expect another bump.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.