Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Actual credit score ? Newbie here

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actual credit score ? Newbie here

Hey I’m new to this forum and new entirely to trying to better my credit score. In the past I have made some mistakes and didn’t know how the system worked so of course I charged and applyed for credit cards never made some payments on time etc. Over these couple years I have applied first for OpenSky credit card to start rebuilding my credit. It’s a secured card with only 200 limit. I have had this for a year now and been paying on time every since. I then applied for another card..Discover secured card ($200)and it’s been seven months since I had that. I finally got a review and happy to say the increased the limit to $2000 and made the card unsecured. I also several months later applied for a capital one card unsecured with a limit of 300 dollars. I don’t want to ramble on too much but I just want see where I can find my actual credit scores. On my credit karma account I’m seeing 637 /634 trans and equifax. Then i look at my Experian account (free) and it says much lower at 599 equifax 593 trans and 581 experian. Why are these numbers different? I hope someone can take the time to read this and give some feedback or advice on where I can look for the actual scores. Another thing will the increase credit limit on my discover from 200 to 2000 make a big impact positively on my score ? Thanks for reading and any help will be appreciated.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Actual credit score ? Newbie here

Sites like Credit Karma, Credit Sesame, even some of the free scores offered by creditors (for instance my Chase app) give you a Vantage 3.0 score. Nobody uses this, and scores can be wildly off. Credit Karma is very good for monitoring your file, but ignore the score.

Going from 200 to 2000 isn't really going to push your score, unless say you had a 190 balance on that card. In that case you've drastically cut your utilization and should see a bump in score.

Message 2 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey I’m new to this forum and new entirely to trying to better my credit score. In the past I have made some mistakes and didn’t know how the system worked so of course I charged and applyed for credit cards never made some payments on time etc. Over these couple years I have applied first for OpenSky credit card to start rebuilding my credit. It’s a secured card with only 200 limit. I have had this for a year now and been paying on time every since. I then applied for another card..Discover secured card ($200)and it’s been seven months since I had that. I finally got a review and happy to say the increased the limit to $2000 and made the card unsecured. I also several months later applied for a capital one card unsecured with a limit of 300 dollars. I don’t want to ramble on too much but I just want see where I can find my actual credit scores. On my credit karma account I’m seeing 637 /634 trans and equifax. Then i look at my Experian account (free) and it says much lower at 599 equifax 593 trans and 581 experian. Why are these numbers different? I hope someone can take the time to read this and give some feedback or advice on where I can look for the actual scores. Another thing will the increase credit limit on my discover from 200 to 2000 make a big impact positively on my score ? Thanks for reading and any help will be appreciated.

Discover gives you your actual TransUnion FICO 8 score.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 6
thornback
Senior Contributor

Hi Scuba -  welcome to the forums!

@Anonymous wrote:
On my credit karma account I’m seeing 637 /634 trans and equifax. Then i look at my Experian account (free) and it says much lower at 599 equifax 593 trans and 581 experian. Why are these numbers different?

Ignore credit karma scores,  they are of the Vantage 3 model and are very different from FICO scores (and quite useless).   FICO is the score model lenders use to make credit decisions -- this is the score you want to monitor.   Your scores from the Experian site (even the free / trial Experian service)  should be your FICO 8 scores, which are the ones with which you want to concern yourself.  You can (should) double check that they are FICO 8 scores by looking for the FICO® sign next to the scores in the Experian app  (they do offer a free Experian Plus score as well, which is not FICO -- so that's why I recommend you confirm that the scores say FICO 8 next to them).   

What else is on your reports?  You said you made some mistakes in the past with late payments, etc.,  so what negatives are still appearing on your reports?  If you can list every account that is negative, and what the negative actually is (ie. late pays, charge-off, collections, etc.) we will be able to offer better advise on how to rebuild.    Please also list the names of the creditors / collection agecies and any outstanding balances associated with each. 

You're off to a good start with your new credit.. so all you need to do there is maintain and let them age -- you don't need any more new accounts for now. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 6
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@thornback wrote:

What else is on your reports?  You said you made some mistakes in the past with late payments, etc.,  so what negatives are still appearing on your reports?  If you can list every account that is negative, and what the negative actually is (ie. late pays, charge-off, collections, etc.) we will be able to offer better advise on how to rebuild.    Please also list the names of the creditors / collection agecies and any outstanding balances associated with each. 

You should check on the "when" too, that can help you to know how much longer they'll be on your report.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Going from 200 to 2000 isn't really going to push your score, unless say you had a 190 balance on that card. In that case you've drastically cut your utilization and should see a bump in score.

OP, you should understand that credit limit increases in and of themselves have absolutely no bearing at all on FICO scores.  Not even a single FICO point.  Someone with only three $500 limit cards can possess the same 850 credit score as someone with just three $30k limit cards.  The comment quoted above relates to a possible utilization percentage change as a result of a CLI... which can happen, but it's important to recognize that it's the utilization percentage change that's causing the increase in score, not the increased credit limit.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.