cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Added as an AU to Spouses very old, but open CCs…does that have a positive impact?

tag
Spotsy
Frequent Contributor

Added as an AU to Spouses very old, but open CCs…does that have a positive impact?

My spouse has some CCs that have been open for 20+ years.  Would adding me as an AU help my fico scoring? I don't need the limits...but I was thinking that additional CC ages factored in would be helpful if that reports on my bureau with the original CC open dates. They are a couple of very old BBT cards w/ perfect histories.

Thanks for the advice!

FICO 8: TU:831 / EQ:837 / EX:827 as of 12/25/2023
2 REPLIES 2
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Added as an AU to Spouses very old, but open CCs…does that have a positive impact?

Yes, they will help especially if it'll increase your AAoA and AoOA. By how much is hard to say because based on the numbers in your signature your scores are pretty high up there already. Aging metrics get diluted returns around 6-8 yrs so depends on the age of your current accounts it may not as much of an increase as one would normally expect

Message 2 of 3
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Added as an AU to Spouses very old, but open CCs…does that have a positive impact?

According to your signature, you already have excellent scores.  Lenders will often use their own algorithms and can discard AU cards completely.  Depending on what your profile looks like, adding the cards could potentially rebucket you into another credit scoring segment and possibly even cause a decrease in scores.  There are also potential penalties for having too few or too many AU cards with balances reporting, so if you do not already have AU accounts on your reports that is a possible pitfall.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.