cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Address change, credit score goes down....??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Address change, credit score goes down....??

When people change addresses, often there are new silent pulls from utility companies (Think power, gas, tv, internet) ... thata all i coudl think of.

Message 11 of 21
arkane
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Mine just went up on TU 10 points and Ex 1 point for an address change. Strange also because I moved from a house to an apartment. You would think that would be a negative.

You necro'd a three year old thread AND didn't even bother to read any of the posts?!

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't even realize it was a 3 year old thread.  Shame on me for not noticing!

I'm not sure what "silent pulls" are.  A pull is a SP or a HP.  "Silent" I would think refers to a SP, as you don't necessarily know it's happening... but if that's the case, SPs have no impact on scoring.

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

i read a "silent pull" somewhere as a hard pull that you technically didnt authorize, but they have a legal right to obtain.

To quote something i found from Robert EG when trying to find what i read.

"Those are based on the permissible purpose of a business transaction inititated by the consumer where the business has a legitimate business need to review your credit in connection with the transaction.

The FCRA does not regulate how these inquiries "must" be coded.

They can be coded as hard, or at the discretion of the business, as soft.

The answer is thus that it is discretionary."

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only time I have heard of utility companies or similar businesses initiating a HP is when starting a contract with them.  Even at that, it's not very common.  I have not however heard of a utility company hitting someone with a HP from something like an address change or anything other than taking on a new account.

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

matter fact it does. just moved 2 weeks ago and changed my legal resident and a cross all my credit bureaus they all dropped btwn 25 and the worst one experian 40 points, if I could I would post my screen shot to prove it!
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

matter fact it does. just moved 2 weeks ago and changed my legal resident and a cross all my credit bureaus they all dropped btwn 25 and the worst one experian 40 points, if I could I would post my screen shot to prove it!

No it doesn't.  Evidently you have not read through this thread either.  A screen shot proves nothing, as you're only posting a screen shot of an alert you receive regarding a change (address) on your CR.  Alerts are not reasons for a score change; you're alert doesn't say "your score dropped 40 points because of an address change."  Bottom line is that something else changed which caused the score drop, but the score drop from whatever event(s) they were wasn't brought to your attention until you received the address change alert.

Message 17 of 21
Cindy_FICO
Administrator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

From our credit expert, Tom Quinn: 

Please note, address information is not considered in the calculation of FICO® Scores.  The monitoring feature within myFICO subscription solutions includes credit bureau data change alerts that will likely have an impact on a FICO Score (such as a new late payment hitting the file), as well as data, change alerts that have no impact on a FICO Score (such as a change in the address information).  These alerts are designed to help the subscriber with identity protection objectives.

Generally speaking, when an alert is generated an updated FICO Score is generated and shared.  If one receives an address change alert and a change in score, the change in score is due to some other difference in the underlying data.

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually address change does affect score. Mine dropped significantly and no there were no other factors. In fact I called and Experian even stated it was because of the many address changes in a short time. Not sure about Transunion but Experian it definitely makes a difference. So those of you who think you know the facts and tying to tell people they are wrong....are incorrect.

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually address change does affect score. Mine dropped significantly and no there were no other factors. In fact I called and Experian even stated it was because of the many address changes in a short time. Not sure about Transunion but Experian it definitely makes a difference. So those of you who think you know the facts and tying to tell people they are wrong....are incorrect.

Unfortunately it's you that's incorrect here.  Don't believe anything that someone at Experian states.  CSRs that work for CRAs know far less than the educated members of this forum.  They know about credit report data, but that doesn't mean they know squat about FICO algorithms.

If you saw a score drop, it was from something else other than an address change.  Things are ever-changing with credit profiles, so even if you say there was no other change, there are changes going on that aren't obvious.  An address change like a name change or employer change are all pieces of data that are not factored into FICO scoring.  It's actually quite silly to think those things could impact score when you think about it.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.