Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on improving my score.

tag
jg33
Established Member

Advice on improving my score.

So I just got a signature loan through my credit union and it is paying off all my credit card debt.  The payoff checks and close out letters went to the creditors.  I have gone from 11 CC's to 2 now. The 2 I have are retail store cards that are private label cards they have zero balances and I wont be spending on them.  I now have just a Installment loan through the credit union.  Im saving like $400 a month since I did this.  I have student loans and a auto loan aside from the  new credit union loan.  My question is now that my revolving accounts will be closed and paid off, will my score go up? Or will I need to use the retail cards once in awhile like $50 here and there and pay it off monthly to show that I am managing revolving debt not just installment loans.   If someone can reply with a plan from where they would go from here.  Im never late on anything. My credit cards were maxed out but now they will be closed with zero balances.  Thanks for the help.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Advice on improving my score.

Your score may go up a little but you really need revolving.

I would use one of the cards you have and let it report a 9% or less balance and the other 0.  As far as FICO, yes, they are scored the same way.

Did you have to close the accounts to get the loan?

Message 2 of 7
jg33
Established Member

yes I had to close the accounts to get the loan, but only the accounts that had any balances on them.

Message 3 of 7
jg33
Established Member

*****UPDATE****

Half of my cards were closed in the consolidation through the credit union - CAP1 stayed open - My score for TRU is was a 682 and Equifax 666 prior to the consolidation loan.   In less than a week my score has gone from 666 EQ to 721 and My TRU from 682 to 734.       Just to see what would happen I applied for a new card and I got a 3K limit with cap1 and a new discover card (which I always was denied for previosly)  I know I shouldnt have applied but I did it for the credit education purpose, however I will keep the Cap 1 I just wont activate the Discover.  I just wanted to make a UPDATE post since this may have been helpful to somebody that is reading this.  Ill be sure to check back in to this post maybe 6 months from now.   I must say that this credit union totally helped me and I am so greatful.

Message 4 of 7
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@jg33 wrote:

*****UPDATE****

Half of my cards were closed in the consolidation through the credit union - CAP1 stayed open - My score for TRU is was a 682 and Equifax 666 prior to the consolidation loan.   In less than a week my score has gone from 666 EQ to 721 and My TRU from 682 to 734.       Just to see what would happen I applied for a new card and I got a 3K limit with cap1 and a new discover card (which I always was denied for previosly)  I know I shouldnt have applied but I did it for the credit education purpose, however I will keep the Cap 1 I just wont activate the Discover.  I just wanted to make a UPDATE post since this may have been helpful to somebody that is reading this.  Ill be sure to check back in to this post maybe 6 months from now.   I must say that this credit union totally helped me and I am so greatful.

To quote another fellow here on the boards " activating a card is just a security feature. Your account is open, you took the HP, you lowered your AAoA already, you might as well make use of it" 

Message 5 of 7
Rikku
Regular Contributor

I applied for a Discover card in college and never activated it. The account still appeared on my CR as an open account for 3 or 4 years before they closed it for inactivity. I NEVER activated or used the account. So...don't assume that not activating the account means that it won't appear on your CR.

Message 6 of 7
GFer
Valued Contributor

As stated; revolving account will build your credit much faster.

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.