cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex high balance increase resulting in huge drop?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex high balance increase resulting in huge drop?

Hi everyone,

I would like to understand why a high balance on my Amex (about $20K but paid in full on time and representing a $14K increase from the previous month) made my credit score drop by almost 40 points?

I'm really confused because I was under the impression that as long as I repay my Amex balance on time, there won't be any negative effects on my credit score.

Thanks a lot in adcance for your help.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex high balance increase resulting in huge drop?

Insufficient data provided to answer properly to your specific question.

Spike in reported individual and aggregate utilization going over scoring thresholds will give you a score decrease.

Message 2 of 13
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot for your answers but after reading the other posts, I am still very confused about what happened...

My Amex Platinum being a charge card and me repaying all balances in full, why would my score drop by so much simply because my balance went from $5,000 to $19,000? (and I repaid that in full on time). 

Message 4 of 13
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks a lot for your answers but after reading the other posts, I am still very confused about what happened...

My Amex Platinum being a charge card and me repaying all balances in full, why would my score drop by so much simply because my balance went from $5,000 to $19,000? (and I repaid that in full on time). 

What was your reported aggregate utilization before and after?

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

3% before and the same after. I only have one other credit card (with BoA) that I keep at 3% and the Amex doesn't impact the utilization rate as it's a charge card so there is no data about this.

The only change is the $14K increase in balance for the Amex that I paid in full...  Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 13
AllZero
Mega Contributor

What CMS Credit Monitoring Service are you using? Is it FICO based?

Message 7 of 13
AllZero
Mega Contributor

In addition, are these new accounts that just started reporting? How old are these accounts? Based on your prior post, it appears you have a new and thin credit profile?

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am monitoring my CS through the Fico Score option on my Bank of America account

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes the BoA credit card was opened 1.5 years ago and the Amex Platinum in May 2020

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.