cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An Account Shows a Balance Increase? $12?

tag
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

An Account Shows a Balance Increase? $12?

OK...still new to the FICO micromanagement game...so....this is my next question:

Husband and I both received ScoreWatch alerts. Both said "An account shows a balance increase." I got dinged 1 point. Husband got dinged 11 points.

Have a Sears Citi card we barely use. Finally started to use it periodically to show use. Always PIF before statement cuts. It hadn't shown a statement balance since May, and I read that you can get FICO penalized for letting an account sit dormant too long and then using it. Decided I'd better let it show a balance...$12.

Now we get dinged for showing a balance increase on an account. Is this the same ding as the one for using a dormant account? Is that what we just did in FICO's eyes?

OK...so...how often do we need to let a balance show in order to not get dinged. Does this happen every time the prior month's balance was zero?

Any advice appreciated...

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Established Contributor

Re: An Account Shows a Balance Increase? $12?

Hi Lynette,

If one uses their card and then PIF before the statement date such that the statement reports a zero balance this should be sufficient to be counted as usage to the FICO scoring model. I do exactly this every month with 7 CCs and have not had a score alert indicating a ding for "dormant"card activity. I do allow one card to show a small balance (always the same card) to avoid the other ScoreWatch ding for increased CC account balance.YMMV

ETA: I am by no means a FICO expert but this works for me.

Message Edited by plasticman on 09-07-2009 08:49 AM
Message 2 of 16
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@plasticman wrote:

Hi Lynette,

If one uses their card and then PIF before the statement date such that the statement reports a zero balance this should be sufficient to be counted as usage to the FICO scoring model. I do exactly this every month with 7 CCs and have not had a score alert indicating a ding for "dormant"card activity. I do allow one card to show a small balance (always the same card) to avoid the other ScoreWatch ding for increased CC account balance.YMMV

Hi...with a name like plasticman...you must be the expert! Just kidding...

I had thought about the possibility of letting the same card show the small balance each month. I think that may be the answer.

The only reason we used the card at all is to show usage to the cc company. Don't want them taking it away because we don't use it. Our ding was for "account showing a balance increase." They didn't use the verbage "dormant account," but I wondered if this was in reality the same thing.

Thanks plasticman.

Message 3 of 16
Established Contributor

Either alert would have applied to your Sears CC. ScoreWatch picked one.
Message 4 of 16
pattycake
Established Contributor

Could it be you were rebucketed?  I showed balance increases of $200 and my FICO only dropped 2 points, then it shot up 34.  Go figure. 
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 5 of 16
Established Contributor

@pattycake wrote:
Could it be you were rebucketed?  I showed balance increases of $200 and my FICO only dropped 2 points, then it shot up 34.  Go figure. 

If one only knew exactly what the different 'buckets" are. The FICO gods can be fickle!Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 16
Macroman
Regular Contributor

Are you certain that the balance increase is the only difference. I think it's unlikely that a $12 balance would re-bucket you but having a change in account age or an old account drop off will. Also a baddie drops off  this could rebucket.

You have not told us about other accounts, do you have other accounts and other accounts with balances. One ding is for having over 50% of revolving accounts report balances. If this were your only revolving account or you have one other you would get that ding. 

Message 7 of 16
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

LynetteM wrote:

plasticman wrote:

Hi Lynette,

Hi...with a name like plasticman...you must be the expert! Just kidding...

I had thought about the possibility of letting the same card show the small balance each month. I think that may be the answer.

The only reason we used the card at all is to show usage to the cc company. Don't want them taking it away because we don't use it. Our ding was for "account showing a balance increase." They didn't use the verbage "dormant account," but I wondered if this was in reality the same thing.

Thanks plasticman.

The term "dormant account" was not used because the account was not dormant. In order for an account to be considered dormant the TL must be unreported for at least six months. If you use the account once every three months to avoid AA by the issuer and the TL is reported you will never have a dormant account! Once an open TL becomes dormant it is removed from the scoring calculation. Therefore the CL on a dormant CC cannot help you with your UTIL.

You also were not "dinged" for the account showing a balance increase. The balance increase triggered a SW alert (due to your settings). Your score was recalculated as a result of the alert and then presented to you. If you look very carefully at the alert it states that the reason proffered is may not actually be the reason why your score changed. SW alerts and the reason suggested within them frequently do not relate.

Message 8 of 16
Established Contributor

CWCID,

The ScoreWatch reasons and alerts can obviously be very confusing, or I am just very confused. Thank you for doing your best to clarify these alerts and what they are most likely referring to!

Message Edited by plasticman on 09-09-2009 02:48 PM
Message 9 of 16
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

plasticman wrote:

CWCID,

The ScoreWatch reasons and alerts can obviously be very confusing, or I am just very confused. Thank you for doing your best to clarify these alerts and what they are most likely referring to!

They are a conundrum wrapped in an enigma. I just try to set my options really tight so I get any alerts at all. I would much rather SW send me an alert and score once in a while with a potentially bogus reason than absolutely nothing at all! The reasons are frequently nonsense.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.