cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another AU question. What to do? What to do?

tag
ohjoy
Frequent Contributor

Another AU question. What to do? What to do?

So, I'm an AU on my brother's Cap1 card. The history is great but, he just bought and is renovating an investment property and utilization on this card is now at 93%. (I'm dying!) Meantime, my reports are looking good except for his account and my scores have taken a hit. I contacted him about removing me as AU about 6 weeks ago. I just updated my 3B report and see that the account is still there. I hate to nag him and thought I'd call and have myself removed but, I have no account number and don't want them to confuse his Cap1 account with mine.  Anyhoo, I thought I'd look up info to see how much trouble I'd have with calling Cap1 and found that I can be removed as AU but, the account may still stay on my credit report. That said, my question is, do I have myself removed with the possibility of the 93% util remaining, or should I just wait, as he said he plans to pay the card down to < 10% by August?  I'm not seeking credit for anything atm. What to do? What to do?

Thanks in advance.

Starting Score (May 2017): 584 TU
Current Scores: 752 TU, 717 EQ, 750 EX

Goal Score: 820+

3 REPLIES 3
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Another AU question. What to do? What to do?

Either you can contact Cap 1 yourself or your brother can do it, but just ask them to "terminate" you as an authorized user.  The balance will update to zero and it will say owner "terminated," but the account will stay on your reports for 10 years, so if it's an older account you get the age.   I've done this with Cap 1 accounts with my ex.

Message 2 of 4
ohjoy
Frequent Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

Either you can contact Cap 1 yourself or your brother can do it, but just ask them to "terminate" you as an authorized user.  The balance will update to zero and it will say owner "terminated," but the account will stay on your reports for 10 years, so if it's an older account you get the age.   I've done this with Cap 1 accounts with my ex.

Perfect. Thank you so much!

Starting Score (May 2017): 584 TU
Current Scores: 752 TU, 717 EQ, 750 EX

Goal Score: 820+

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

A person gets to keep the AU age if they remove themselves from the AU account? 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.