cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another way to raise score besides AZEO?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another way to raise score besides AZEO?

Hey Fico family!
I was recently approved for a Cap1 QS1. I would love to utilize the benefits of the AZEO method but I'm afraid of trying my scores by applying for 2 more cards. Would it have the same positive impact if I PIF each month on this single card and app for two more cards in 6 months? Id hate to rack up inquiries at this point since Cap1 hit all three reports with 2 points each just for this card.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: Another way to raise score besides AZEO?

The "AZEO" method is for those that have a few cards.

With one card you should let a few dollars report every statement.

How best to raise your scores is controversial as each method has good and bad associated with it.

Many will say to get a couple more cards now, take the credit hit and let them age together. They believe 3 cards will give you a higher score sooner. The bad is that you will get cards with low limits, maybe need secured cards and they will be slow to grow. Also probably need to be purged later in time, (starter cards). Others will say to be patient let what you have grow and show good payment patterns and in 6-9 months get two more cards when your scores are a little higher. You should be able to get better cards, and most likely a little better starting limit. Does this raise your score slower or faster (I do not think anyone really knows) . Either way you should try to get 3 cards  in the next year to help your "Fico", not sure if it is better now or in 3-9, I might flip a coin !!   Smiley LOL

Message 2 of 5
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous, paying in full helps your status with the lender, but scoring doesn't notice. All scoring cares about is the reported balance. It doesn't care how you arrived at it. You want to pay in full to avoid interest and look good to your lender, but not because of your score.

You have a good card to start with. It's an unsecured product from a good bank. You don't want to take any steps backward by going with predatory banks or secured cards. (Discover's secured card might be an exception.) Because there aren't a lot of unsecured products from good banks available for people just starting out, that means you'll need to work slowly. Check the pre-quals in about six months to see what appears. Maybe it'll take a little longer.

As K says, you can't really do AZEO with one card because there's no way to get the "except one." You'll want your statements to cut with small balances. $5–$10 would be great when it's time to apply for something. Otherwise, up to about $50 or so would be fine. Don't let a balance of zero cut if you can help it because that'll ding your score. Of course, that's correctable the following month, and if you're not applying for anything, it won't be a big deal. Right now, your main objective is to keep Capital One happy. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congrats on getting started with your rebuild. 

For the next year the only things you should worry about are paying the CC by the payment due date ( paying on time ) and not going over limit. 

With baddies in your file, any few points you gain through AZEO are not going to be noticeable, the allowed maximum of your score, while the baddies remain, will have a hard ceiling. That ceiling will lift gradually over time, but only with continued on time payments. 

A Discover Secured or BofA Secured Card would be good to add soon. That will give you some more revolving credit to show your good payment habits. 

Another step to consider is openning a $500 Share Secured term Loan at a local credit union. This may involve a HP, but the interest rate should be low. Setting up the payment plan for 5 years gets an Installment Loan reporting for you, as if you had an auto loan without the massive payment requirement. The Share Secured Loan does require you to deposit $500 in a security savings account, but then you get the loan proceeds of $500 back so it is cash neutral once you get going. I have one and the payments are $9 per month. My opinion is the “mix of credit” benefit from this move will eventually be better for your scores, and is simpler to manage for the long term. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@NRB525wrote:

Congrats on getting started with your rebuild. 

For the next year the only things you should worry about are paying the CC by the payment due date ( paying on time ) and not going over limit. 

With baddies in your file, any few points you gain through AZEO are not going to be noticeable, the allowed maximum of your score, while the baddies remain, will have a hard ceiling. That ceiling will lift gradually over time, but only with continued on time payments. 

A Discover Secured or BofA Secured Card would be good to add soon. That will give you some more revolving credit to show your good payment habits. 

Another step to consider is openning a $500 Share Secured term Loan at a local credit union. This may involve a HP, but the interest rate should be low. Setting up the payment plan for 5 years gets an Installment Loan reporting for you, as if you had an auto loan without the massive payment requirement. The Share Secured Loan does require you to deposit $500 in a security savings account, but then you get the loan proceeds of $500 back so it is cash neutral once you get going. I have one and the payments are $9 per month. My opinion is the “mix of credit” benefit from this move will eventually be better for your scores, and is simpler to manage for the long term. 

It should be mentioned that the share secured loan, paid down to small percentage :

1. may cause some point loss due to new account

2. may cause some point loss due to initial high percentage of amount owed

3. is not valuable unless the lender will not accelerate payment dates when loan is paid ahead

I would not recommend it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.