cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any benefit to deleting positive tradelines?

tag
chrisjitsu
Established Member

Any benefit to deleting positive tradelines?

I have 2 USAA accounts that are closed and in good standing. One was an installment loan that had a couple of 30 day lates, but was paid in full. The other was a CC that had numerouse 30s, but also paid in full. Neither went to collections.

A couple more specifics:

• Installment loan's last 30 day late occured 09/2016
  • CC's last 30 day late occured 08/2017
  • Removing both accounts doesn't have any major effect on my AAoA(12yrs, 4mos), as I have 40 tradelines reported, half of which are older than these.

USAA is notoriously difficult to GW with and, to be honest, I'm not disputing any of the lates. They were entirely my fault and I corrected them as best I could. But I am wondering if its worth the effort to ask them to remove both tradelines. I still have one open account with them and will continue to do business with them. 

Scorewise, I'm in the 750-60s Fico range across EQ, TU and EX. 

Starting Score: EQ: 659 (1/21/11 via myFico SW), TU: 689 (1/21/11 via myFico QM), EX: 635 FAKO
Current Score: EQ: 755 (1/25/11 via myFico SW), TU: 762 (1/21/11 via myFico QM), EX: 754
Goal Score: 760+ on all scores

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
4 REPLIES 4
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Any benefit to deleting positive tradelines?

@chrisjitsu wrote:

I have 2 USAA accounts that are closed and in good standing. One was an installment loan that had a couple of 30 day lates, but was paid in full. The other was a CC that had numerouse 30s, but also paid in full. Neither went to collections.

A couple more specifics:

• Removing both accounts doesn't have any major effect on my AAoA(12yrs, 4mos), as I have 40 tradelines reported, half of which are older than these.

USAA is notoriously difficult to GW with and, to be honest, I'm not disputing any of the lates. They were entirely my fault and I corrected them as best I could. But I am wondering if its worth the effort to ask them to remove both tradelines. I still have one open account with them and will continue to do business with them. 

I don't think they would delete them and I don't consider them "positive tradelines".

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 5
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@chrisjitsu wrote:

A couple more specifics:

I don't think they would delete them and I don't consider them "positive tradelines".

I agree they aren't positive accounts if there are lates in the account history .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@chrisjitsu wrote:

A couple more specifics:

I don't think they would delete them and I don't consider them "positive

tradelines".

I would consider these non-derogatory accounts in the purest sense. They will never qualify for EE since they are not a CA, CO, Repo, FC, or BK, so that makes them positive TLs. They help aside from the lates. The lates will eventually age off and they will be 100% positive accounts with no mention of derogatory status, as the bureaus cannot report derogatory info of any kind after 7y 180d, max, while these accounts once positive, will still continue to remain for 10 years post close/last update vs. a totally derogatory account that would be completely removed after 7y 180d, max.

I would not worry about getting the entire accounts deleted over a handful of lates, but you can try for GW deletion of the lates with the banks, otherwise, as I said above, they will age off in a few years time. If they are all 30d lates, the biggest impact to your scores pass after 2 years, and while they still ding you, it probably will not skyrocket your scores when they come off. Many have reported gains while other have reported no gains once their last/only 30d late is removed.

I have found qty really doesnt matter as much as one would think, either. While it does not look good, score wise it seems less important than severity, not saying qty is not taken into consideration. I had over 300 lates across 11 student loans and had close to 200 age off and I gained not one single point because of other lates still reporting. I have found for the most part when the last of a derog type (CA, late, CO, etc) comes off is when you see the biggest score boost, but for severe lates they can sting the whole 7 years, while 30d lates and even 60d lates do not have the same, severe impact.

Message 4 of 5
chrisjitsu
Established Member

Thank you for the detailed explanation of why those tradelines can be considered positive. 

I appreciate the insight on the deletion question. My reasoning to ask for that, instead of a GW, is because USAA is typically  resistant in granting a GW. But, as you explained, there's probably not much benefit in deleting them. Considering the amount of back and forth I'd probably go through with USAA, it doesn't seem worth it. 

Thanks again, this forum is always the best place to find these answers!

Starting Score: EQ: 659 (1/21/11 via myFico SW), TU: 689 (1/21/11 via myFico QM), EX: 635 FAKO
Current Score: EQ: 755 (1/25/11 via myFico SW), TU: 762 (1/21/11 via myFico QM), EX: 754
Goal Score: 760+ on all scores

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.