cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any data on crossing 8.9% on a mortgage?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any data on crossing 8.9% on a mortgage?

This discussion came up in another thread and I'm not sure I've ever seen someone post the score gain associated with crossing the 8.9% threshold on their mortgage.  For the sake of this discussion, I'm assuming that the mortgage is the only open installment loan on file, so the mortgage utilization equals aggregate utilization.  If another loan is present (such as an auto) aggregate utilization would need to be figured, then the crossing of 8.9% utilization aggregate wise. 

We've seen plenty of data points provided with people referencing (say) 15-20 point gains in taking their > 8.9% aggregate loan utilization to < 8.9% utilization across different loan types.  One common one would be someone taking on a SSL, bringing their balance down to something slightly above 9% utilization or so, grabbing their score, then going below the 8.9% threshold and grabbing their score again.  I'm not sure this has been done with a mortgage though?  If anyone recalls a thread and can link it, that's great... or if anyone is nearing that point on their mortgage, it would be awesome to get a before/after score pull to see the impact of crossing that final threshold.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Re: Any data on crossing 8.9% on a mortgage?

Last year I came across this video on YouTube and I remember the balance on a mortgage loan being brought up. This person has really put their FICO score under the microscope. In other words several pulls through MyFico. See if this helps you out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sny-172p9Q

Message 2 of 4
heeseon
Frequent Contributor

Hello,

I would like to share my DPs

I made a big mortgage payment.

My mortgage utiliztion : 96.9% (5/19) to 84.8% (6/19) 

credit card utilization : 3% (2 bank cards balance reporting)

TU 08: 779  to 800 (+21)

EQ 08:757 to 783 (+26) 

EX 08: 755 to 752 (-3) the payment was not updated yet

TU789 EQ786 EX791(05/23)
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@heeseon wrote:

My mortgage utiliztion : 96.9% (5/19) to 84.8% (6/19) 

credit card utilization : 3% (2 bank cards balance reporting)

TU 08: 779  to 800 (+21)

EQ 08:757 to 783 (+26) 

EX 08: 755 to 752 (-3) the payment was not updated yet

While I appreciate the feedback, there are too many variables at play for your DP to isolate the mortgage payment balance change as the reason for your score increase(s).  Since your scores were pulled 1 month apart, a lot can change in that span of time.  For example, all age of accounts factors increase by 1 month.  Also, you provided data on your reported revolving utilization, but didn't say if it was your before or after utilization; if that wasn't exactly the same (same number of accounts with balances, too) when the two scores were pulled 1 month apart it could also be an additional variable.

To really get a solid data point, one would need to pull their scores using a tool like the $1 trial at CCT the day or two before their new [lower] utilization on the mortgage reports, then the day it reports pull their scores again.  The before/after also should not cross the 1st of the month.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.