Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AoYA 3 months and/or AoOA 15 months threshold. +23

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AoYA 3 months and/or AoOA 15 months threshold. +23

I logged into my Experian CreditWorks Premium account today (Mar 01) around noon to see if my score changed from AoYA reaching 3 months. (Thanks to @Birdman7 , @SouthJamaica, and @BrutalBodyShots for the posts about isolating aging changes from other factors.)

It looks like I gained +23pts on EX FICO 8 (696 to 719) from one or more of the following:

• AoOA: 1 yr  3 mo
  • AAoA: 7 mo
  • AoYA: 3 mo

I say 'one or more' because of a few posts from @BrutalBodyShots which point out that it's not necessarily due to AoYA alone crossing the 3mo threshold. It looks like it could be a little of AoYA and AoOA due to the following changes from the prior day's report (Feb 28):

1. 'Payment History' changed from 'Very Good' to 'Exceptional' (AoOA seems like it would be more of a factor here.)
  2. 'Amount of New Credit' changed from 'Fair' to 'Good'. (AoYA seems like the best factor here.)

Also, both Experian and myFICO provided an alert today. The myFICO alert was for TU +10pts, and mentioned 'length of time accounts have been established' and 'length of time revolving accounts have been established' separately in the 'score factors' as shown below in the graphic.

My profile is very, very simple. I have statement closings on the 2nd and 5th and there is no interference from inquiries aging until December. It's all quiet between monthly statement balance updates at the CRA's, since I only have 2 open revolving accounts.

Here are the rest of the changes I observed today from logging in and generating a new daily report on my Experian CreditWorks Premium subscription (also TU VS3 from Credit Karma and the TU FICO 8 change from the myFICO alert):

( Both cards were opened near the end of December, and are being counted from December 1. Both cards still showing 7% utilization on each. Same as on the 02/08/19 report.)

02/08/19

Δ

03/01/19

EX FICO 8

+23

EX FICO AUTO 8

+25

EX FICO Bankcard 8

+25

EX FICO 2

EX FICO 3

EX FICO Auto 2

EX FICO Bankcard 2

TU FICO 8

+10

TU VS3

+6

March 1 report. AoYA 3mo, AoOA 1yr 3mo, AAoA 7 mo.

myFICO-alert-march01-aging.png

33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AoYA 3 months and/or AoOA 15 months threshold. +23

Well done! Looking forward to seeing the effect at EQ!
Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice job honing in on those age of accounts factors.

One question for you regarding AAoA.  You said you just reached 7 months, so on 2/1/19 you would have hit 6 months.  Did you see any score increase at that time?  There have been may whole number + 6 month threshold increments identified for AAoA, for example, 42 months, 78 months, 90 months, etc.  That being said, I would think the chances of an AAoA threshold at 6 months verses 7 would be more likely.  If you however didn't see an increase last month on the 1st, it could very well be that an AAoA threshold does exist at 7 months.  1 year 3 months AoOA doesn't seem all too likely to me, so who knows there.  As far as AoYA goes, that could be something that's scorecard assignment related IMO.  Me personally, I didn't see anything near as I could tell from AoYA increasing inside of 12 months.  It's possible though that on an aged/thick file verses a young/thin one that this could be handled differently by the FICO algorithm, so I can't really speak on the AoYA --> 3 months factor.

Message 3 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Nice job honing in on those age of accounts factors.

One question for you regarding AAoA.  You said you just reached 7 months, so on 2/1/19 you would have hit 6 months.  Did you see any score increase at that time?

There was no increase on any EX score on 2/1/19. I had January 30, February 1, and February 2 daily reports archived at Experian to compare. No January 31 report, but all scores on February 2nd matched those from January 30th. Jan 30 had AAoA at 5mo, and Feb 1 had AAoA at 6mo.

Most scores went down around -5pts by 2/8/19 when I pulled my monthly myFICO 3B report: Table of 32 scores showing the move from 1 card to both cards with balances.

As far as AoYA goes, that could be something that's scorecard assignment related IMO. 

Maybe the CRA data was showing something predictive around 3 months for people who just got their first credit card accounts, so they added another bin there. This is pretty typical in data analytics, since the number of bins is set according to what the input data tells you, so a rebucketing sounds very reasonable. @Birdman7 also suggested that.

Me personally, I didn't see anything near as I could tell from AoYA increasing inside of 12 months.  It's possible though that on an aged/thick file verses a young/thin one that this could be handled differently by the FICO algorithm, so I can't really speak on the AoYA --> 3 months factor.

Every time I came across a post from someone somewhere on the internet explaining how they gained around 20pts at 3mo AoYA had an AoOA under 2 years. Usually it was 1yr 3mo to 1yr 5mo as I recall from searching for it back in December.

Message 4 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Every time I came across a post from someone somewhere on the internet explaining how they gained around 20pts at 3mo AoYA had an AoOA under 2 years. Usually it was 1yr 3mo to 1yr 5mo as I recall from searching for it back in December.

Sounds like this could definitely be scorecard related then!  Good looking into it.

Message 5 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first card's new statement balance showed up at Experian today.

7% to 6% individual utilization change, with second card still at 7% (closing in 2 days). Aggregate is still 7%. No score change as expected from all the evidence on these forums.

experian-mar03-accounts-1at6-posting.png

Message 6 of 34
NRB525
Super Contributor

In over 4 years of MyFICO alerts I have never gotten a stand alone TU score change. The TU score change listed items are always triggered by a balance change or INQ. So if a score change, it’s with something else. Did the balance on this card change?

Which banks are these cards with?

You mentioned an email on the 1st indicating your statement was ready. How does that relate to this timing?
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:
In over 4 years of MyFICO alerts I have never gotten a stand alone TU score change. The TU score change listed items are always triggered by a balance change or INQ.

I've seen them twice before. Look at the stand alone TU alerts here on 1/20 and 1/22: myFICO alerts from January 4 through February 8th.

I won't have an inq aging past 1 year until December. 1 inq at TU did pass the 1yr mark on January 23rd. There is only 1 inq on each CRA now, all from December.

So if a score change, it’s with something else. Did the balance on this card change?

Yes, it went from 135 to 117. A 7% to 6% individual utilization change as shown in a screenshot just prior to your post.

I now know what happened - the statement closing was on the 1st, not the 2nd. It shows March 1 when I log in at my credit union now. I already paid the $117 full statement balance, as I always do before beginning to spend toward the next target utilization percentage (5% for April report).

I didn't think I would be able to log in to Experian on the 1st of the month and see any possible aging related points separate from any other sort of 'background trigger' like a statement reporting, inq, etc. I still don't know if that's possible because now I am pretty sure that a statement reporting caused that score to be recaculated before I even logged in on the 1st around noon.

Yesterday, on March 2nd, I logged into Experian to check something in the 'Dispute Center', and I clicked on the 'accounts' link to find that it was showing the expected $117 statement balance! But when looking everywhere else  that people normally look at their credit report data, it was showing the same information from February, or the $135 balance - but with the new 719 F8 score.

So it is definitely possible that a statement balance can be reported to Experian on the 1st, and not even show up in the front-end software until 2 days later, as I just observed today! But, in the background, the score was recalculated.

Just imagine how often the wrong conclusion could have been made by someone about their own score by looking at reports which don't even contain the exact data that was used to calculate their new score.

Message 8 of 34
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:
In over 4 years of MyFICO alerts I have never gotten a stand alone TU score change. The TU score change listed items are always triggered by a balance change or INQ.

I've seen them twice before. Look at the stand alone TU alerts here on 1/20 and 1/22: myFICO alerts from January 4 through February 8th.

I won't have an inq aging past 1 year until December. 1 inq at TU did pass the 1yr mark on January 23rd. There is only 1 inq on each CRA now, all from December.

So if a score change, it’s with something else. Did the balance on this card change?

Yes, it went from 135 to 117. A 7% to 6% individual utilization change as shown in a screenshot just prior to your post.

I now know what happened - the statement closing was on the 1st, not the 2nd. It shows March 1 when I log in at my credit union now. I already paid the $117 full statement balance, as I always do before beginning to spend toward the next target utilization percentage (5% for April report).

I didn't think I would be able to log in to Experian on the 1st of the month and see any possible aging related points separate from any other sort of 'background trigger' like a statement reporting, inq, etc. I still don't know if that's possible because now I am pretty sure that a statement reporting caused that score to be recaculated before I even logged in on the 1st around noon.

Yesterday, on March 2nd, I logged into Experian to check something in the 'Dispute Center', and I clicked on the 'accounts' link to find that it was showing the expected $117 statement balance! But when looking everywhere else  that people normally look at their credit report data, it was showing the same information from February, or the $135 balance - but with the new 719 F8 score.

So it is definitely possible that a statement balance can be reported to Experian on the 1st, and not even show up in the front-end software until 2 days later, as I just observed today! But, in the background, the score was recalculated.

Just imagine how often the wrong conclusion could have been made by someone about their own score by looking at reports which don't even contain the exact data that was used to calculate their new score.

I don't understand what you mean by "everywhere else that people normally look at their credit report data".

The only place I look for the credit report account balance data is under "accounts".

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 34
NRB525
Super Contributor

Which bank is this credit card with, the one that reported the balance on the 1st?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.