AoYA/AoYRA 1 year and got hardly anything for it

CassieCard
Senior Contributor

AoYA/AoYRA 1 year and got hardly anything for it

I reached AoYA/AoYRA 1yr0mo this month and only saw improvement on 3 scores:

1. EQ Bankcard 8: +9
  2. TU Bankcard 4: +4
  3. EX Bankcard 2: +10

The rest either stayed the same as January or went down slightly.

This is really interesting to me about TU 4: My score went down -4 points, and the reason "Amount owed on revolving accounts is too high" jumped from #4 to #2.

5% to 6% aggregate with a $236 increase in aggregate balance from $1,571 to $1,807! (These are always fresh balances because I pay to zero right after statement cut.)

EQ5 [Edit: EQ AUTO 5] is still showing "Recently opened new account" at #2 on the reason statement list. The last accounts I added to my file were Amex and Discover on Feb 13 and Feb 14 [2020], respectively. I will be inquiry free across all 3 on Valentine's Day.

Still hanging on to a 740+ 'Very Good' rating on the 8's with 4 of 4 cards reporting a balance. I'm doing this Anti-AZEO on purpose so all current and future lenders can see use on all of my cards. Maybe it matters, maybe it doesn't. Doesn't hurt either way.

Profile data and changes to all 28 FICO scores and the 3 VS3 scores are in the graphic below. NC means No Change.

Score changes at AoYA/AoYRA 1yr 0mo.Score changes at AoYA/AoYRA 1yr 0mo.

28 FICO Scores + FICO RESilience Index + 3 VS3. MTG (Mortgage), AUT (Auto), and BKC (Bankcard) are scores 5,4, and 2 from the top.

Keeper of the Scrolls of Resilience: EQ FICO Resilience Index Score Leaderboard (59 People!)

96 REPLIES 96
BrutalBodyShots
Super Contributor

Re: AoYA/AoYRA 1 year and got hardly anything for it

Is your file still thin?  Maybe thin vs thick has an impact on the new account (or lack of) segmentation factor?

Recently opened account negative reason statements from what I understand can last 3 even up to 5 years on certain scoring models, although I'm sure the impact is quite minor.

The TU4 aggregate change from 5% to 6% seems like a solid data point for your file.

Message 2 of 97
Remedios

Mine isnt thin by any metrics, and yet I also got +3 on 8 classic when youngest revolver reached a year. 

Undead Danny Trejo looks strangely like dead Danny Trejo, who looks exactly like alive Danny Trejo. Thanks, Netflix!
Message 3 of 97
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@CassieCard wrote:

I reached AoYA/AoYRA 1yr0mo this month and only saw improvement on 3 scores:

1. EQ Bankcard 8: +9
  2. TU Bankcard 4: +4
  3. EX Bankcard 2: +10

The rest either stayed the same as January or went down slightly.

This is really interesting to me about TU 4: My score went down -4 points, and the reason "Amount owed on revolving accounts is too high" jumped from #4 to #2.

5% to 6% aggregate with a $236 increase in aggregate balance from $1,571 to $1,807! (These are always fresh balances because I pay to zero right after statement cut.)

EQ5 [Edit: EQ AUTO 5] is still showing "Recently opened new account" at #2 on the reason statement list. The last accounts I added to my file were Amex and Discover on Feb 13 and Feb 14 [2020], respectively. I will be inquiry free across all 3 on Valentine's Day.

Still hanging on to a 740+ 'Very Good' rating on the 8's with 4 of 4 cards reporting a balance. I'm doing this Anti-AZEO on purpose so all current and future lenders can see use on all of my cards. Maybe it matters, maybe it doesn't. Doesn't hurt either way.

Profile data and changes to all 28 FICO scores and the 3 VS3 scores are in the graphic below. NC means No Change.

Score changes at AoYA/AoYRA 1yr 0mo.Score changes at AoYA/AoYRA 1yr 0mo.

@CassieCardSorry about the low increases I know you were expecting larger point increases given the data that many have supplied referring to gains of 15, 20, or more points for AoYRA hitting a year.

I am already positioning myself mentally not to expect too much when my AoYRA hits 1 year next month (but keeping hope alive that it will be reasonable increases and not like the ones (+3) @Remedios somehow received.

Currently sitting at a Thick/Clean/Mature/No new account scorecard.

Message 4 of 97
BrutalBodyShots
Super Contributor

With many people reporting tiny gains for AoYRA reaching 12 months, the same would have to be true on those profiles in crossing that threshold in the other direction, no?

What I mean is that someone on a clean/thick/aged/no new account scorecard opens a revolver, resets AoYRA changing scorecards and their score drops only slightly.  One would of course need to isolate any inquiry or inquiries from the equation which should be easy since those would hit before the account reports and then try to determine if AAoA dropping would have an impact of course.

I will be doing an AoYRA reset in the upcoming months and will be happy to report my results.  Years ago when I crossed AoYRA to 12 months my gains were the more typical 20 points or so while in the same scorecard scenario as I am currently, so I'm expecting a solid 20 point or so drop from the opening of a revolver this year.

Message 5 of 97
CassieCard
Senior Contributor

@BrutalBodyShots wrote:

With many people reporting tiny gains for AoYRA reaching 12 months, the same would have to be true on those profiles in crossing that threshold in the other direction, no?

What I mean is that someone on a clean/thick/aged/no new account scorecard opens a revolver, resets AoYRA changing scorecards and their score drops only slightly.  One would of course need to isolate any inquiry or inquiries from the equation which should be easy since those would hit before the account reports and then try to determine if AAoA dropping would have an impact of course.

I will be doing an AoYRA reset in the upcoming months and will be happy to report my results.  Years ago when I crossed AoYRA to 12 months my gains were the more typical 20 points or so while in the same scorecard scenario as I am currently, so I'm expecting a solid 20 point or so drop from the opening of a revolver this year.

Here is my post showing an AoYA/AoYRA reset and score changes from 2 cards (no-new-account) to 4 cards, step-by-step: inquiries, 2 to 3 change, and finally 3 to 4 change. (Aging metrics are in the post - it started at AoOA 2yr 2mo with 2 cards and 1 closed loan.)

It really wasn't that bad, except for TU4 when that 4th card showed up. -18pts there, the highest penalty by far.

28 FICO Scores + FICO RESilience Index + 3 VS3. MTG (Mortgage), AUT (Auto), and BKC (Bankcard) are scores 5,4, and 2 from the top.

Keeper of the Scrolls of Resilience: EQ FICO Resilience Index Score Leaderboard (59 People!)

Message 6 of 97
Remedios

I lost more points on EQ than some do for 30 day late (only a slight exaggeration but it was more than 30 points).

The most pronounced loss was EQ 8 BC, almost 40 points 

It's the stupidest thing they came up with. In my opinion, limiting the ceiling on a young scorecard would have been by far better option. 

Screenshot_20210212-125426_Citi Mobile.jpg

Undead Danny Trejo looks strangely like dead Danny Trejo, who looks exactly like alive Danny Trejo. Thanks, Netflix!
Message 7 of 97
CassieCard
Senior Contributor

@BrutalBodyShots wrote:

Is your file still thin?  Maybe thin vs thick has an impact on the new account (or lack of) segmentation factor?

This I'm not really sure about. @Birdman7 thinks I'm THICK/MATURE now with AoOA recently passing 3yrs 0mo and 5 total accounts (4 cards, 1 closed loan).

The THICK part is based on a graphic from FICO that we found. (Posted here in the Scoring Primer, 2nd graphic down under Credit MIx.)

That slide is about assessing "thin file risk" across FICO 8, 9, and 5, and FICO defines thin file there as "≤ 3 tradelines". 4+ would be thick then across all 3 of those scoring models. I don't know about closed vs open, but I'd satisfy it either way with 4 open revolving.

I would have been in a THIN file with 2 cards and 1 closed loan before I added the 2 cards last February. (Score change post is in my previous reply here.)

Message 8 of 97
LaHossBoss
Valued Contributor

@CassieCard , I also hit AoYA/AoYRA of 1 year this month and saw really no score gains. I figured maybe because I am on a dirty scorecard.

I do my 3B pull in a week or so, but I had a couple other changes, so no telling if it will be age related or the other changes.

Sorry you got such small gains.

Starting Score: 2•20 | EQ 550 | TU 498 | EX 505
Current Score: 4•21 | EQ [F8 651] [F9 645] [EQ5 678] [VS3 630] | TU [F8 713] [F9 684] [TU4 721] [VS3 639] | EX [F8 640] [F9 651] [EX2 655] [VS3 625]
Goal Score: 670 [X] TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

SO Starting Score: 2•20 | EQ 502 | TU 484 | EX 521
SO Current Score: 4•21 | EQ [F8 655] [F9 620] [EQ5 677] [VS3 627] | TU [F8 685] [F9 658] [TU4 639] [VS3 625] [VS4 666] | EX [F8 691] [F9 684] [EX2 658] [VS3 642]
Goal Score: 670 [X] TU [X] EX

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 97
Birdman7
Super Contributor

@LaHossBoss yeah there is no new accounts Scorecard reassignment while you're in a dirty profile, so it would be a non-issue for you and any point change would be related to AoYA from aging category, not AoYRA, new credit category.

@BrutalBodyShots What we have in common with Cassie and Remmy is both of them just reassigned to a mature Scorecard. So they're at the bottom of the ladder and they apparently haven't built up the buffer that is increased or decreased at new account scorecard reassignment is the best theory I can come up with. 

-Community’s scoring wisdom: Scoring Primer.
-New: MORTGAGE SECTION.
-Negative Reason Codes: CassieCard’s Score Factors.
-Calculate metrics with ccquest’s Workbook.

Clean/Thick/Mature/No New Revolver - 8,9; Clean/Thick/Mature/No New Account - 5/4/2.
Correct Ag.Util. under 5% all times. (Oldest/avg varies. Estimates above.)
Real world mortgage maxes are: EQ5-818, TU4-839, EX2-844.

RIP:

(Everything said is JMHO and is not endorsed by FICO or MF. I have no affiliation with either, just a grateful member.)
Message 10 of 97
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.