cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are charge cards considered credit cards?

tag
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Are charge cards considered credit cards?

Many people prefer charge cards for this exact reason, that balances aren't included in FICO revolving utilization.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 11 of 22
Settemio
Regular Contributor

My Visa signature DOES NOT show a credit limit on any of the three reports. I actually called the bank yesterday because I was wondering why, they said that becuase I have the ability to go over the limit, the limit doenst post to the CAs.

Message 12 of 22
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:
Many people prefer charge cards for this exact reason, that balances aren't included in FICO revolving utilization.

Yep and as a result I, like many that pif, use charge cards in preference to CCs.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 13 of 22
HiLine
Blogger

@pizzadude wrote:

Yes, both credit cards and charge cards are considered to be revolving credit.    However FICO scoring doesn't include the balance on charge cards in your revolving utilization calculations.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this terminology. Is "revolving credit" the same as "revolver"? I thought revolver=credit card, and <> charge card....

Message 14 of 22
sjt
Senior Contributor

Revolving line and revolver are the same.
American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 15 of 22
Dreamwalker
New Contributor

Revolving credit and revolver are both terms for credit cards.

You can think of it either like the gun or there's a dictionary definition. With the gun analogy, to empty the gun you use six or so bullets, each making the chamber lighter. With a credit card (from this definition), you load the card and make payments until it's payed off. Contrast that with a charge card, which is more like a laser gun that you charge up and then 'blast' at the end of the month.

Alternately, the dictionary definition:

3. To recur in cycles or at periodic intervals.

Walmart Store Card: $600 & Amazon Store Card: $1200
Amazon.com Visa: $500 & Chase Freedom: $3000
US Bank REI Visa Signature: $5500
Discover It: $100

TU-654 [03/18/2014]
Message 16 of 22
HiLine
Blogger

I like that analogy!

So we seem to agree that

Credit cards = revolving accounts = revolvers

Charge cards <> revolvers

Is there a common term for credit cards and charge cards?

Message 17 of 22
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@Drew wrote:

I was looking at the FICO algorithm and comparing it to my current credit profile.  I see that FICO is more forgiving on thin credit files with 6+ credit cards versus 3-5.  I, however, only have 5 credit cards and 4 charge cards.  Are charge cards considered credit cards according to FICO or are they not taken into consideration?

What do you mean by more forgiving on thin credit files if you have 6+ cards?

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 18 of 22
Drew
Frequent Contributor

Overall scores appear to be higher according to FICO with 6+ credit cards.
Message 19 of 22
Drew
Frequent Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@Drew wrote:

I was looking at the FICO algorithm and comparing it to my current credit profile.  I see that FICO is more forgiving on thin credit files with 6+ credit cards versus 3-5.  I, however, only have 5 credit cards and 4 charge cards.  Are charge cards considered credit cards according to FICO or are they not taken into consideration?

What do you mean by more forgiving on thin credit files if you have 6+ cards?

There is a FICO score spreadsheet that simulates how FICO is affected by aging of accounts, opening of new accounts, etc.  This speadsheet indicates that 3-5 credit cards has a lower starting score than 6+ credit cards on the FICO algorithm.  I'm not sure if that is 100% accurate though.

That brings me back to my original question:  are store cards considered credit cards according to this model?  Currently, I only have 5 actual credit cards (two of which are Visa Signature that report credit limits) and 4-5 store cards.  Should I be applying for another credit card?

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.