cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are nationwide average fico score going down or up?

tag
danev2
Established Member

Are nationwide average fico score going down or up?

Looking at the big picture...

Forclosures, short sales, delinquincies going up.  Inflation going up. unemployment going up.

All the going up news, has to be making peoples ficos go down.  I think the average score is like 620?  or something around there? 

It would appear that alot more people though are getting involved with their CRA's and scores to  increase them.   So maybe that is counter acting the negative effects?

Discuss.

Dane V

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Are nationwide average fico score going down or up?

I would think that scores are trending downward.  And lenders' requirements for scores are going in the opposite direction.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO scores tend to be a lagging economic indicator, so I would guess they are trending down.
Message 3 of 6
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Thought I saw an article on msn a couple of days ago saying the average fico is 670.
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 4 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Or 700. Or 678. Or 710. I've seen all of these.

Interesting question, but I'll bet if anyone is tracking average scores (and how would they do this?), they're gonna keep mum on what they find.

Technically, an average ought to shift up and down. So it's like your 10th-grade history class: if everyone is pretty dumb, you might get a C with a 71, but if everyone was smart, it might take an 80.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Per FairIsaac (see Credit Education tab above), the average FICO score is around 720.  This is confimed by my own credit report, which states that with  my 720 FICO, I am at 50% of the pop. 
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.