Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized

tag
Mrflip09
Established Member

Authorized

How much of an impact would it have on my credit score if my mom was to add me as a authorized user on one of her cards?
Starting Score: 603
Current Score: 603
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Ex. 603
Eq. 575
Trans. 591
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized

@Mrflip09 wrote:
How much of an impact would it have on my credit score if my mom was to add me as a authorized user on one of her cards?

There are too many variables to answer that question without further information.  What is the UTI on the card you will be added to?  How old is it?  Who is the creditor?  How many accounts do you have?  How old are they?  What is your UTI? 

Message 2 of 8
Mrflip09
Established Member

Mine is around 30% right now but will be lower when reported.... my mom got great credit.... not exactly sure of the limit but it's a old card..... let's just say for example.... less then 20% uti....5k limit and 5 years old......i have 3 accounts 1.8 year average according to my report
Starting Score: 603
Current Score: 603
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Ex. 603
Eq. 575
Trans. 591
Message 3 of 8
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Completely depends on the account and your file.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 4 of 8
kxkxkxx
Regular Contributor

Like the others said, depends on factors...I can tell you I had mine add me to a card she has, it is 20yrs old, had a very high credit limit and owing about 25% of that limit...it boosted me 15-20 pts per report.

Current FICO 8 Scores
EQ 759
TU 748
EX 744
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 What @Overmedicated said.
Message 6 of 8
DollyLama
Established Contributor

@Mrflip09 wrote:
Mine is around 30% right now but will be lower when reported.... my mom got great credit.... not exactly sure of the limit but it's a old card..... let's just say for example.... less then 20% uti....5k limit and 5 years old......i have 3 accounts 1.8 year average according to my report

I'm with the first response.  If Mom's card is significantly older than yours (5 yrs old vs. your oldest ex.1.5 yr old), it can help. If you have an open revolver over 5 years old, it will not help on the Age of Oldest Account. If you are even near it <12 mos, it wouldn't be worth it. Since your utilization overall reporting next month will be in the <30%, it wouldn't be needed. Only if you had high utilization cards and needed the 5k limit to reduce overall utilization and cross a scoring threshold. 

Also which was noted, retail store/charge card,(Victoria Secret, Home Depot, etc.) or Bank card Visa, MC, Amex Exp, Discover ? 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, what is the age of your oldest account?  A 5 year old AU account isn't very aged; often we see people adding AU accounts to a young file because they're 10-20+ years in age.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.