Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Loan Early Payoff

tag
BuildingBetterCredit2020
New Contributor

Auto Loan Early Payoff

Just doing a little early planning and was curious about the opinions out there. I have the opportunity to payoff my 5-year auto loan (2019) early in the next 8 months, but I'm reticent about the potential score drop from doing so. I've read here and there that any score drop to be had would be negligible. FWIW, the interest on the loan is low to begin with not to mention a lot of it is front-loaded anyway so the savings would probably be negligible. But it would be nice to get rid of the loan and save up for another car, large purchase, or put in savings/investments. Smiley Very Happy Any and all advice appreciated. 

Sept 2023

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Re: Auto Loan Early Payoff

I have always paid off my loans without considering the FICO consequence, even when the loan was a 0% auto loan. I just prefer to not owe money, although I don't go crazy paying off the 0% loans for obvious reasons.

If you are planning on applying for something where a better FICO score will net you a better interest rate, it might be worth considering stretching the loan out. Otherwise, I'd just pay it off and be done with it.

Message 2 of 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

If this is your only open installment loan then it's likely you'll experience a small hit to your FICO scores when it reports as closed / paid.

I agree with the comments above, unless you're planning to apply for credit soon I'd go ahead and pay it off as your score will bounce back eventually. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 4
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@BuildingBetterCredit2020 wrote:

Just doing a little early planning and was curious about the opinions out there. I have the opportunity to payoff my 5-year auto loan (2019) early in the next 8 months, but I'm reticent about the potential score drop from doing so. I've read here and there that any score drop to be had would be negligible. FWIW, the interest on the loan is low to begin with not to mention a lot of it is front-loaded anyway so the savings would probably be negligible. But it would be nice to get rid of the loan and save up for another car, large purchase, or put in savings/investments. Smiley Very Happy Any and all advice appreciated. 

If it's your only open loan, and if the present balance is 9% or less of the original loan amount, you are currently in the 'sweet spot' of installment utilization, and will likely receive a serious point loss in your FICO 8's and 9's, and a small loss in one or more of your mortgage scores, when you pay it off.  Many of us have experienced 30+ point losses, far from "negligible".

But to my mind the value of getting a clean title takes center stage.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.