Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Loan/Fico Score

tag
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

Auto Loan/Fico Score

Lowering the auto loan balance of $18800 does it have any effect on increasing my score. My credit cards utlization of 100K is between 0% - 1% 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Auto Loan/Fico Score

@AyaMai wrote:

Lowering the auto loan balance of $18800 does it have any effect on increasing my score. My credit cards utlization of 100K is between 0% - 1% 

It might or might not, depending on what other loans you have, if any, and on how much you lower it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Whats your scores now? If your util is 1%. Doesnt matter what your total LOC is. Whats in the background that might be holding your scores down? Any baddies?

Message 3 of 9
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Whats your scores now? If your util is 1%. Doesnt matter what your total LOC is. Whats in the background that might be holding your scores down? Any baddies?

My score dropped from 736 to 680 now back 687 due to a sudden collection report from collection agecny popped on my credit report in March 2022 from an old default credit Capital One card "Original Creditor" $1300 balance which will drop off in September 2023. I have a 30 days late payment of another Capital One Credit Card "Still Have" which will drop next month. 

American Express denied me for another card due to one of the reason "Proportion of loan balances to loan amount is too high"  2 credit cards and 3 charge cards were issued to me by them before credit score got hit and the balance of auto loan was higher.  I put 30% down payment of the car original price to have a lower monthly car payment. If lowering the balance will have a significant score increase then I will do extra payments but if not, then I have no interest in doing so.  Monthy payment is $319.84            No balance on any credit cards, utlization of any card 0% - 1%   I pay my charges the next day or before the closing date of my statement.

Balance on Apr 29, 2022    $18,943                                                   7% of this account has been paid 
Original loan amount          $20,417
Message 4 of 9
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

The derogs will work against immediate significant benefit you'd otherwise get from lowering the loan balance.

I wouldn't waste hard pulls applying for anything until you see where your scores are when the 30D late drops.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 5 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@AyaMai wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

My score dropped from 736 to 680 now back 687 due to a sudden collection report from collection agecny popped on my credit report in March 2022 from an old default credit Capital One card "Original Creditor" $1300 balance which will drop off in September 2023. I have a 30 days late payment of another Capital One Credit Card "Still Have" which will drop next month. 

American Express denied me for another card due to one of the reason "Proportion of loan balances to loan amount is too high"  2 credit cards and 3 charge cards were issued to me by them before credit score got hit and the balance of auto loan was higher.  I put 30% down payment of the car original price to have a lower monthly car payment. If lowering the balance will have a significant score increase then I will do extra payments but if not, then I have no interest in doing so.  Monthy payment is $319.84            No balance on any credit cards, utlization of any card 0% - 1%   I pay my charges the next day or before the closing date of my statement.

Balance on Apr 29, 2022    $18,943                                                   7% of this account has been paid 

Again....  in order to tell you what effect it would have on your score to lower the auto loan balance, I would need to know (a) what other loans you have, if any, and (b) by how much you would lower the loan.  If it's your only open loan, you would receive a significant scoring benefit only when you pay the balance down to below $2040.  If it's not your only open installment loan, then I would need to know the loan amounts and the current balances of the others.

Message 6 of 9
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@AyaMai wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Again....  in order to tell you what effect it would have on your score to lower the auto loan balance, I would need to know (a) what other loans you have, if any, and (b) by how much you would lower the loan.  If it's your only open loan, you would receive a significant scoring benefit only when you pay the balance down to below $2040.  If it's not your only open installment loan, then I would need to know the loan amounts and the current balances of the others.

$18,943  is my only open installment loan I have at the moment, no credit balance on any of the credit cards, no mortgage, can you please explain why the number $2040, that I would receive a significant scoring benefit. I only got back to applying for credit in October 2020 after having one credit card with $200 CL for 10 years and I paid everything in cash, now I use charge and credit cards for rewards such as cash back or points for any kind of purchases and expenses in my daily life except for rent at the current moment. 

Message 7 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@AyaMai wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@AyaMai wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

$18,943  is my only open installment loan I have at the moment, no credit balance on any of the credit cards, no mortgage, can you please explain why the number $2040, that I would receive a significant scoring benefit. I only got back to applying for credit in October 2020 after having one credit card with $200 CL for 10 years and I paid everything in cash, now I use charge and credit cards for rewards such as cash back or points for any kind of purchases and expenses in my daily life except for rent at the current moment. 

When you get the aggregate installment loan utilization percentage below 10% you will probably get a significant score boost in FICO 8's and 9's.  The negative reason code you're getting about percentage of loan balances will go away too.  Since you only have one $20,400 loan, you would need to get the balance below $2040 to get that boost.   There might be slight increases along the way down, but nobody has been able to pin that down.

Message 8 of 9
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

In addition to the above advice, if you are paying off every credit card so they report zero every month you losing a few points off your credit score. It's called the all zero penalty. Basically looks as though you aren't using you're credit cards. For maximizing your scores it is ideal to have one card report a small balance, $20 or so. Let the $20 report on your statement but pay before the due date so you don't pay interest. You should gain a few points doing this. It is referred to as the AZEO method.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.