Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto charge off after 6 years

tag
RTOrockstar
Frequent Contributor

Auto charge off after 6 years

I had a vehicle financed thru Santander that was repo'd back in 2016. It's been on my credit since then and it has held my scores back, but I've rebuilt pretty well over the last few years as this is my only big bad. 

Today I got notification that a had a score drop on Experian and it says that Santander has flagged my account as a charge off on my report. How is that different from what it was before and why the sudden drop in score less than a year before it's removed?

3 REPLIES 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Auto charge off after 6 years

Santander is probably sending a message being so close to the fall off date that you owe them. Were still here. Also since it hasnt been paid. Santander has written the account off as a loss for their records. Depending on your states SOL they could go legal or not. Or send it to a CA as a last ditch effort. They're a bear at times.

Message 2 of 4
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

@RTOrockstar  Before the notification was the account reporting the status of repossesion with a balance? Is it now reporting the account was charge off with a zero balance?

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 3 of 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

The account probably hadn't reported in a while, and they recently updated it, causing a "catch up penalty" in the FICO algorithm, thus lowering your scores.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.