Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Average Age of Accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Average Age of Accounts

When we're talking average age of accounts, does this include active accounts only, or all accounts?

I'm wondering if my score is going to go down when derogs fall off of my credit report/when I dispute them.

Also... if I merge my 4 capital one accounts into the oldest one, I assume that's a good thing, right?  2 are 28 months old, 1 is 59 months, 1 is 60 months.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Average Age of Accounts

AAoA counts all accounts on your credit report exactly the same whether they are open or closed.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm wondering if my score is going to go down when derogs fall off of my credit report/when I dispute them.

If anything on an account is disputed, that account is often temporarily removed from consideration in your score while the dispute is being investigated.

If an account is permanently removed from your report, whether because it becomes sufficiently old or because of a disute process, then it no longer is considered in computing your score.  A 30 year old account falling off would likely hurt your score.  A very young account (e.g. 2 months old) being removed could easily help your score.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Also... if I merge my 4 capital one accounts into the oldest one, I assume that's a good thing, right?  2 are 28 months old, 1 is 59 months, 1 is 60 months.

Tell us more by what you mean by "a good thing."  Do you mean something that will improve your credit score?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Tell us more by what you mean by "a good thing."  Do you mean something that will improve your credit score?

Second this, because one might consider the value of each cards rewards, rates, and many other things i'd assume

Message 5 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That is what I am guessing the OP thinks.  Or even thinks that just having the oldest one be the one leftover is good for the overall AAoA number. 

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe by "merge" the OP means that he'd move his limit from 3 out of 4 accounts over to the 4th account (which is his oldest) and close those 3.  This would of course have no bearing at all on credit score when considering age of accounts factors, as whether those 4 accounts are open or closed will have the same impact on his AAoA or AoOA.  Depending on how many other revolvers/accounts the OP has, closing 3 of them could slightly impact his scores in an adverse way, as it would inflate the percentage of revolvers/accounts with a balance compared to if those 3 accounts were left open.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.