Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backfire when trying to avoid AU AZ penalty

tag
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Backfire when trying to avoid AU AZ penalty

I was formerly an AU on a Cap1 card. The card was listed as "Open" on both TU and EQ but under "responsibility," or "relationship" depending on where you look, it was showing "terminated." I figured since the card was still technically listed as open, and showing as part of my total available CL over all accounts according to ACR.com, that it was in fact counting as OPEN, and hurting me with the AZ AU penalty. I decided to experiment with removing it from TU. It cost me -6 pts dropping me from 734 to 728 on my FICO 8. I knew it would be risky as it was hard to tell if it was actually counting as opened or closed, but I figured I could be a guinea pig. The point loss came from this being my oldest reporting account by a few months. RIP, old AU card. Think I'll leave it alone on my EQ, haha. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Backfire when trying to avoid AU AZ penalty

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

I was formerly an AU on a Cap1 card. The card was listed as "Open" on both TU and EQ but under "responsibility," or "relationship" depending on where you look, it was showing "terminated." I figured since the card was still technically listed as open, and showing as part of my total available CL over all accounts according to ACR.com, that it was in fact counting as OPEN, and hurting me with the AZ AU penalty. I decided to experiment with removing it from TU. It cost me -6 pts dropping me from 734 to 728 on my FICO 8. I knew it would be risky as it was hard to tell if it was actually counting as opened or closed, but I figured I could be a guinea pig. The point loss came from this being my oldest reporting account by a few months. RIP, old AU card. Think I'll leave it alone on my EQ, haha. 

@Ficoproblems247 Since responsibility was terminated, it was not counting as open, I don't believe, yet, like a closed account, it was contributing to your ages. Removing it probably affected your ages is my guess, as you said. 

You know before and after AAoA and AAoRAs?

Message 2 of 20
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You know before and after AAoA and AAoRAs?

I don't, unfortunately. I was going to bite the bullet and pay for MyFICO but I never went for it. I get 7 versions of EX daily plus 2 monthly 3B pulls for free so I just can't bring myself to justify it. I literally have nothing I'm applying for other than a possible small auto loan and taking a HP for my Citi DC next month for a bigger CLI, so I really don't care other than the hobby I have made it. AAoA would have been right around 5.5 years, and AoOA would have been just over 13 years with it, just under 13 years without it for an idea of what kind of thresholds it may have crossed. 

TCL $199,800
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ficoproblems247 You can get all your EQ and TU ages at CK for free.

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ficoproblems247 I believe there’s a AAoA threshold at 5.5 years, so that could have been it.

And you already have your EX.

Message 5 of 20
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ficoproblems247 I believe there’s a AAoA threshold at 5.5 years, so that could have been it.

That would make sense. My profiles are fairly similar. They're all +\- 1 old account or so so my AAoA should be very similar across all 3. CK shows AAoA for open accounts only afaik. I didn't have time to try and add up the months and do the math this morning while I was looking on the site. 

TCL $199,800
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That would make sense. My profiles are fairly similar. They're all +\- 1 old account or so so my AAoA should be very similar across all 3. CK shows AAoA for open accounts only afaik. I didn't have time to try and add up the months and do the math this morning while I was looking on the site. 

@Ficoproblems247 That is true you do have to calculate it yourself, what they show is only open accounts. Wasn't trying to give you work, but if you feel like it, when you have time and the curiosity is bugging you, you can check it out. 

and be careful on Experian because they show average age in two places one with and one without authorized user accounts, if you are using their interface rather than doing it manually. 

Message 7 of 20
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Where is the word Open showing on the Capital One trade line? If it is in the account type field the word open has nothing to with wether the account is open or closed. The account type open means the balance in full is due in 30 days. Account type open applies to some AMEX non revolving credit cards.  Also where is the word terminated showing on the credit report is it in the field where you would see Individual, Joint or Authorized user etc?

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 8 of 20
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ficoproblems247 That is true you do have to calculate it yourself, what they show is only open accounts. Wasn't trying to give you work, but if you feel like it, when you have time and the curiosity is bugging you, you can check it out. 

and be careful on Experian because they show average age in two places one with and one without authorized user accounts, if you are using their interface rather than doing it manually. 

Alright, teacher, I did my math homework lol. It actually had a larger impact than I thought it would, AAoA went from 6.7y to 5.2y so the 5.5 breakpoint certainly makes sense. I'm not worried about the point loss and kind of expected it to happen. I'm trying to garden until I attempt to add a couple USB cards to my lineup (Cash+ and probably Altitude GO) so I have until June '21 to sit around and wait to be under 1/12. If I don't play around with and mess with my FICO scores in the mean time or do SOMETHING credit wise I'll get too bored. Thank you by the way for always being so super helpful not just to me, but to everyone hanging around the scoring sections. Your knowledge baffles me sometimes! 

TCL $199,800
Message 9 of 20
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@AndySoCal wrote:

Where is the word Open showing on the Capital One trade line? If it is in the account type field the word open has nothing to with wether the account is open or closed. The account type open means the balance in full is due in 30 days. Account type open applies to some AMEX non revolving credit cards.  Also where is the word terminated showing on the credit report is it in the field where you would see Individual, Joint or Authorized user etc?

This one is a bit longer, more complicated story than I included in this post. I've tried posting about it before but it is too confusing to explain very well because it involves lots of different scenarios so I tried to leave out the juicy details and just focus on the point loss for this post. To try and answer your questions, though, different interfaces refer to it in different ways on different bureaus as 'open' or 'closed.' The reason I was thinking there was a possiblility of it actually COUNTING as open, even though it stopped reporting in 1/2020, is that the CL of the card was being counted toward my total CL as reported on ACR.com. As for where 'terminated' was showing, your assumptions are exactly correct, the field where it would say 'individual, joint, ect.'

TCL $199,800
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.