cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance increase $0 to $96 on a $4200 Credit Line?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance increase $0 to $96 on a $4200 Credit Line?

This showed up as negative, not sure if it decreased my score because a collection came up on the same report. Why would it show up as negative? Is it logical to have decreased my score? How can I avoid that from happening?
4 REPLIES 4
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Balance increase $0 to $96 on a $4200 Credit Line?

A $96 balance reporting on a card with a $4200 limit wouldn't have much impact. If it triggered crossing a more general threshold across all cards there could be an outsized impact, but even then it wouldn't be much.

A new collection being reported on the other hand is a serious deficiency and would easily trigger by itself a significant drop in your scores.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
This showed up as negative, not sure if it decreased my score because a collection came up on the same report. Why would it show up as negative? Is it logical to have decreased my score? How can I avoid that from happening?

For us to answer your questions, we would have to know what the other things are in your report, which scores you're looking at, and where you got them from.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 5
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

OP, if you have a new collection show up, your score will decrease, no matter what is going on with your balances 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you're saying that it "came up as a negative" what I believe you're referring to is the alert that you received.  You're probably referring to the alert being red in color, perhaps with a down arrow, as opposed to a green-colored alert, possibly with an upward arrow.  This is just CMS fluff and nothing you should really worry about.  What they're saying is that you had a reported balance increase, which generally speaking is a "bad" thing, although it doesn't have to impact your Fico score(s) even 1 single point.  Whether your reported balance increased $5 or $5000, you'd still see the same red (or whatever) negative/alert from your CMS simply letting you know that the balance on one of your accounts was heading in the opposite direction of where you'd typically "want" it to be going.  Nothing to sweat, IMO.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.