cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America just closed my oldest account but..

tag
frankjaeger
New Contributor

Re: Bank of America just closed my oldest account but..

That is correct. Not one single swipe in the last seven months. It's hard for me to say what the last transaction date was. I can't even access my account. Same with the close date. I would have to call to find that out.

I might just let this card close instead of re-opening it. While pulling my credit for my new car, my credit union offered me a new credit card with a $7,000 limit at the same time with one pull.

So maybe it evens out? Oldest credit line of only $1,000 (always in good standing, never any CLIs) closes, but a brand new one with $7,000 limit opens?

Unsure..

Message 21 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

So yeah, if you are being offered a nice card that you like, with no additional pull for it, why not?

On the other hand, bear in mind that you already have ten open credit cards (not counting the possible card with the CU or the card recently closed card).  You dom't need any new cards.  A person can easily have a score in the 840s with five cards -- possibly with as few as three.  More than five cards does not help your score in any way. 

The new CU card will lower your AAoA (it will have an age of zero months) and will involve no extra hard pull.  Reopening the old card will not help your AAoA and will involve a hard pull.

Those are some of the issues you can consider as you make your decision.

Message 22 of 24
frankjaeger
New Contributor

It's true that I don't need ten cards. I only steadily use one. I just feel like if I close a few of them it will drop my score by 20-30 points or something crazy. Considering that my next oldest card is only six months newer than the BoA card, I think I'll just leave it closed.

Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@frankjaeger wrote:

That is correct. Not one single swipe in the last seven months. It's hard for me to say what the last transaction date was. I can't even access my account. Same with the close date. I would have to call to find that out.

Let me know if you have even a vague memory (or reasonable guess) as to the two dates.

Let's suppose that the Dec transaction date was Dec 15 and the date of closure was July 17.  (You began this thread on Aug 3 with the subject line" BOA has just closed my credit card" so the actual closure date might have been late July?

What I am trying to assess is whether we can reasonably guess that at least 7 months plus a day passed before they closed it.  For example, all of these dates are consistent with that:

TRANSACTION        DATE CLOSED

Dec 8              July 10

Dec 17             July 19

Dec 25             July 27

The reason I am so interested is that nobody (as far as I know) has ever reported a "closed due to inactivity" as early as 6 months.  If it were just over 7 months, that would be surprising but less strange, since in the dozens and dozens of cases I have investigated 7 months was the earliest and that was still an extreme outlier -- typically it was closer to 15 months, and in most cases > 365 days.  (And many people have reported cards have no charges for two years or more without being closed by the issuer.)

On the other hand, you do have some additional circumstances, which is that the card has never produced a statement balance in two years and when it was used it was just a few times a year for small amounts.  Usually the $0 statement balance is thought not to matter but perhaps it is taken into account when 6+ months of inactivity have gone by. 

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.