Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best option for my bonus?

tag
tim2
Contributor

Best option for my bonus?

I will be getting a $12k (net) bonus next week.  I am trying to figure out how to spend it to get the best bang for my buck.  I have two things I am trying to achieve and I don't think I can achieve both so I'm torn.   One - I would like to reduce my monthly minimum payments.  Two - I would like to get below my credit limits on a couple of my cards.  Here is where I stand right now on things with a balance.

• Line of credit - Balance $10,134 - Limit $10,000  -  Min monthly at this balance is $260
  •  Credit card 1 - Balance $8,910 - Limit $9,000  -  Min monthly at this balance is $90 (zero interest at this time)
  •  Credit card 2 - Balance $6,123 - Limit $6,000  -  Min monthly at this balance is $200
  •  Credit card 3 - Balance $5,554 - Limit $5,500  -  Min monthly at this balance is $90
  • Personal loan - Balance $11,700 - Standard payment $270

My credit scores now are EX: 702;  TU: 677;  EQ: 676

I would like to get the personal loan balance down to something reasonable - something that I can pay off rather quickly.   The rest my concern is just that they are maxed out.   When I ran my credit reports today everything was good except for balance to limit ratio. 

Any thoughts on the best way to split this bonus?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Best option for my bonus?

If you pay cards 2 and 3, they will both report zero balances, and FICO scores not only overall utilization, but utilization of each account, and how many report balances.  Then you have $290 extra a month, and if you use the snowball method, just roll that 290 into paying off the next card and so on.

However, what is your highest interest card?  And if you don't pay #1, how long until the no interest runs out?  Is it deferred interest?  (meaning, will all interest from day 1 show up if you don't pay it before the cutoff?  Why the focus on the personal loan instead of the cc's? 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 9
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@tim2 wrote:

I will be getting a $12k (net) bonus next week.  I am trying to figure out how to spend it to get the best bang for my buck.  I have two things I am trying to achieve and I don't think I can achieve both so I'm torn.   One - I would like to reduce my monthly minimum payments.  Two - I would like to get below my credit limits on a couple of my cards.  Here is where I stand right now on things with a balance.

• Line of credit - Balance $10,134 - Limit $10,000  -  Min monthly at this balance is $260
  •  Credit card 1 - Balance $8,910 - Limit $9,000  -  Min monthly at this balance is $90 (zero interest at this time)
  •  Credit card 2 - Balance $6,123 - Limit $6,000  -  Min monthly at this balance is $200
  •  Credit card 3 - Balance $5,554 - Limit $5,500  -  Min monthly at this balance is $90

I would like to get the personal loan balance down to something reasonable - something that I can pay off rather quickly.   The rest my concern is just that they are maxed out.   When I ran my credit reports today everything was good except for balance to limit ratio. 

Well, the first question is: are you being penalized for being over the limit? If you are, then I would at the very least pay them to *below* the CL, but not necessarily PIF.

The second questions is: what are your interest rates? In general, the best rule of thumb is to pay off the highest interest rate cards/loans first. Start with the highest %, then the next highest %, and work your way down.

Pay any additional each month on the remaining highest % card/loan. Then when you have that paid off, start paying the additional on your next highest % cc/loan.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 9
cdtotten
Established Contributor

@tim2 wrote:

Are you being penalized for being over the limit.. I would get that under immediately. With the remainder, start paying your highest interest rate card first as much as you can, unless your 0% interest card is "deferred financing" that must be paid in full by a certain date or the interest is realized. If that is the case, then pay that off asap.

You have a very significant amount of CC debt at nearly $20k, along with a maxed out credit line and a large personal loan. After using this bonus money in full to pay something down, you need to look at your overall finances and find ways to cut your expenses to get these things paid down. The credit scores you listed are likely FAKOS (as no one has the option to purchase their EX FICO), and I can almost guarentee your true FICOs aren't that high. With nearly 100% utilization, and being over the limit on your cards, your scores are tanked and you won't be able to get any more financing if you need it. The good news... credit reports don't have any memory of your past balances (for scoring purposes), so once the debt is paid down, your scores will shoot right back up. Try to get things under control though, because they aren't currently.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Booner72 wrote:

If you pay cards 2 and 3, they will both report zero balances, and FICO scores not only overall utilization, but utilization of each account, and how many report balances.  Then you have $290 extra a month, and if you use the snowball method, just roll that 290 into paying off the next card and so on.

However, what is your highest interest card?  And if you don't pay #1, how long until the no interest runs out?  Is it deferred interest?  (meaning, will all interest from day 1 show up if you don't pay it before the cutoff?  Why the focus on the personal loan instead of the cc's? 

+1.

Than pay rest in descending order of interest charges. I think your APR would play a key role in developing an effective strategy.

Message 5 of 9
tim2
Contributor

To answer your questions/concerns here:

•  I got my TU and EQ score from MyFico and got my EX score from Experian.com.   So is Experian giving out fake Experian scores?
  •  Yes - I have $20k in credit card debt but won't have soon after my bonus.  Also, I bring home $2600 every two weeks so I plan to throw a lot of money at the debt soon. 
  •  I have other open credit cards - I just have a zero balance on those.  These are the only with balances.
Message 6 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@tim2 wrote:

To answer your questions/concerns here:

•  I got my TU and EQ score from MyFico and got my EX score from Experian.com.   So is Experian giving out fake Experian scores?
  •  Yes - I have $20k in credit card debt but won't have soon after my bonus.  Also, I bring home $2600 every two weeks so I plan to throw a lot of money at the debt soon. 
  •  I have other open credit cards - I just have a zero balance on those.  These are the only with balances.

The TU and EQ scores from here are true FICO scores. No one has been able to buy their own Experian FICO score since February of 2009. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU (PSECU) in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only.

What EX sells now are called "PLUS" scores and by their own admission no lender uses them.

Message 7 of 9
tim2
Contributor

So the Experian report and score from Experian.com is not an Experian score?

Message 8 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@tim2 wrote:

So the Experian report and score from Experian.com is not an Experian score?

The EX report is accurate but ignore the "PLUS" scores sold at the EX website.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.