Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best tool for credit score monitoring

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best tool for credit score monitoring

I have subscribed to CompleteID from Costco as I was a member of Costco and I could get it for $8.99 per month and new report for $11.99. I only get alerts about my profile for $8.99. Anytime I want to find out about my scores, I need to pay $11.99. I don't get any free scores monthly or quarterly. After Experis took over CompleteID (In feb 2017 I guess), they simplified the options of my profile.

I signed up for credit karma but it shows only one CB score. Just wondering which product gives the scores as well as alerts for the cheapest price? myFICO has one product for $29.99 and I think it's way too expensive.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best tool for credit score monitoring

I'm in the same boat. MyFico price does go down if you purchase for entire year though to like 28$. Im going to go with myFico again for myself I think. Others I've looked into are LifeLock is 29.99 but appears annual + IdentityForce 23.95. You are still looking at between 25-30 MTH on average. A lot of credit cards offer free scores updated monthly. You could keep your current plan and just do it that way too. It all depends on how often you want your score. I would think though based on the CB the card pulls from that would be your score. Like my amex vs Cap1 scores are different since they both pull from seperate. Hope this give some sort of info.

EDIT Note: You also want to take into consideration the ability of platform. I travel abroad and having mobile app is a plus for me :-)

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi International.  My reply may also apply to Svergie, who is also in the same boat.

What you need to do first is separate out what services a CMS gives, and then identify which ones are really important to you.  As far as I can tell, there are three things:

Credit Reports

Credit Scores

ID Theft

Credit Reports

There are free tools out there for this.  Karma will give you your TU and EQ reports weekly.  WalletHub will give you your TU report daily.  FreeCreditScore.com will give you your EX report monthly (along with a FICO 8 score).  All that is free.

Credit Scores

You can get a free monthly FICO 8 score based on Experian data from FreeCreditScore.com.  You can get free FICO scores from credit cards and a number of credit unions and banks.

ID Theft

Here the value of what is being delivered is a lot harder to assess.  It's easy to see if a tool is in fact giving you a credit report or a credit score.  With ID Theft we are closer to snake oil salesmen.  Is it really true that Pirelli's Miracle Elixir will make you grow your hair back?  Or even closer to the mark, that a certain cutting edge antioxidant pill will prevent you from getting cancer in 20 years?  Could be!  Or not.  So you'll have to look at reviews of the various products and decide whether they tell you anything.  And there are traditional methods of monitoring ID theft: reading your reports once in a while, or even freezing your reports. 

I am aiming my reply toward the idea of ultra low cost or free solutions, because you have mentioned not wanting to spend $300 or more a year on this stuff.  Personally, I spend almost nothing on it.  I get all my scores at my FICO once every 18 months for $30.  So that's an annual cost of $20.  Then I use free tools.  But my approach isn't "right" -- it's just what I do.

You can take my approach and make it even sweeter by using the $1 trial and Credit Check Total once a quarter.  That's another $4, which even in my parsimonious world is not much.

PS.  There are other free tools I haven't mentioned: Credit.com, Credit Sesame, etc.  Almost all of the do some kinds of alerts if you like that as well.

PPS.  A crucial step in this whole process is assessing where you are right now with your credit profile and then where you are trying to go (and why) in the short term (next three months), medium term (next 12 or 18 months), and long term (3-10 years).  The answer to "which CMS solution is best" depends a ton on that.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally, I think while I'm gardening over this spring and summer, my best course is to stick with the free FICO scores I get from Synchrony, Discover and Penfed (bearing in mind that the last is NexGen 2 rather than 8) and the Cap 1, CK and USAA trackers (again bearing in mind that those are Vantage 3.0 so will give different results than FICO and won't be what the majority of lenders will rely on) until I'm ready to start looking for my Visa in the fall - at that time I'll buy my most current reports and see what they look like.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.