Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better to have $10 balance or 0?

tag
myscorerocks
Regular Contributor

Better to have $10 balance or 0?

I know things change from time to time and I haven't been on here in ages. I'm paying off some balances to raise my score and debating on whether to pay off entirely or leave a small balance. Thoughts?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Better to have $10 balance or 0?

Zero balance is always better in my opinion. The more zeroes the merrier for score purposes too.

Message 2 of 4
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

To maximize your scores you want all your cards to report Zero except for one card , let that one card report a very small amount less than 9% of the CL
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

Zero balance is always better in my opinion. The more zeroes the merrier for score purposes too.

This is true unless the OP is talking about all zero balances being reported on all of his revolvers.  This would not be ideal for scoring purposes, as it results in around a 14-22 point drop depending on bureau and depending on what utilization was prior to all zero balances reporting.

Allowing one $10 balance to report on 1 revolver would result in the best possible scoring scenario for the OP.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.