cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building a mortgage by purchasing a cellphone?

tag
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

Building a mortgage by purchasing a cellphone?

I don't have any recent plan to buy a car or house. And I want to "diversity" my debt so the FICO can improve a bit. Can I take a mortgage of a cellphone or a laptop and have it reported to credit burea? Thank you.

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Re: Building a mortgage by purchasing a cellphone?

A mortgage is specific to a house purchase; you could look at getting an installment loan of some sort. A cell phone or laptop usually ends up being reported as a revolver in my experience, though.

Message 2 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Do you mean installment loan? A mortgage is a debt secured by real estate like a home or land.

Do you have any loans reporting (e.g. student loans, paid off car loans, personal loans, etc.)? If so, you already have that factored into your mix of credit. If not, IMO, I wouldn't get into debt just to have a loan report. The new TL would likely hurt more in the interim. It wouldn't make sense to get a loan on a cellphone and certainly I doubt if there are any lenders out there. I'm not even sure if you can get a loan on a computer anymore. Back in the day installment loans were offered, but now it's more revolving credit via a store card or CC. Technology changes so much that by the time a few months have passed the value is essentially gone and there's no way to secure that.

I wouldn't recommend paying interest on your own money, but if you wanted a loan put a couple of thousand into a CD or savings. Some banks will offer secured loans based on that. But again, I don't see any FICO improvement by doing so if you already have credit.

ETA....I'm a very slow typer.

Message 3 of 4
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

@llecs wrote:

Do you mean installment loan? A mortgage is a debt secured by real estate like a home or land.

Do you have any loans reporting (e.g. student loans, paid off car loans, personal loans, etc.)? If so, you already have that factored into your mix of credit. If not, IMO, I wouldn't get into debt just to have a loan report. The new TL would likely hurt more in the interim. It wouldn't make sense to get a loan on a cellphone and certainly I doubt if there are any lenders out there. I'm not even sure if you can get a loan on a computer anymore. Back in the day installment loans were offered, but now it's more revolving credit via a store card or CC. Technology changes so much that by the time a few months have passed the value is essentially gone and there's no way to secure that.

I wouldn't recommend paying interest on your own money, but if you wanted a loan put a couple of thousand into a CD or savings. Some banks will offer secured loans based on that. But again, I don't see any FICO improvement by doing so if you already have credit.

ETA....I'm a very slow typer.

Thanks. Maybe I'll just get an auto loan with 3% APR.

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.