Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can lender see recently paid off debt?

tag
appstate
Valued Member

Can lender see recently paid off debt?

I just paid off 3 credit cards in the last 30 days... roughly about $6700.  I now have 1 CC with a balance of $2750 (Discover).

We're looking to buy a house and we getting ready to speak with a lender.  Will lenders be able to see I recently paid off 3 credit cards?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Re: Can lender see recently paid off debt?

Only after the cc companies send in their updates, usually a few days after the next statement.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can lender see recently paid off debt?

While often not shown on most commercial credit reports available to consumers, creditors report monthly balance history as part of their reporting, and thus a creditor can  determine prior balance/payment profiles.

With respect to mortgage loans, lendors traditionally go beyond CR reviews, and also look at debt to assets ratios, which directly takes the same info into consideration through the reduction in cash assets that were used to pay any debt.  I imagine they could choose to do both if their manual review was that detailed.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.