cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can my credit get better if I become AU on BF Acc.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can my credit get better if I become AU on BF Acc.

Now I know that there's gonna be some changes coming up real soon w/the FICO 08 (AU not being valid) ,but can I get some help building my FICO now by getting added as AU? And if I dare go that route when the changes come will it drop?   (My main goal is to add some HISTORY to my FICO cause I'm only working with 1yr)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Can my credit get better if I become AU on BF Acc.

If you are made AU on a good card now it should help.  The FICO 08 might or might not come into operation with all or some or none of the CRAs in sometime, some year possible soon, and then the help will go away
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 9
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Mrsmari..................yes, being an AU on a good account will help you. I have added my sister to three of my accounts, and she has seen her scores jump quite a bit.

However, I really have mixed feelings about doing this. I did it to help my baby sister get back on her feet after a messy divorce. But we both know her present score is not a true indication of her credit worthiness.  
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 3 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Unless it's a husband-and-wife situation (or another equivalent long-term relationship with the expectation of permanency, etc), I think the AU usage ought to last exactly as long as it takes to get those 2 or 3 cards and maybe a loan, and get a month or two of timely payments going. Then cut the apron strings.

Both parties are at risk in an AU relationship, and the only way that it becomes close to being palatable is if the two people are partners in running a household and are using the AU card as part of the family financial plan. Otherwise, the AU is vulnerable to the cardholder getting behind on payments and so forth, and the cardholder is vulnerable to the AU or someone close to the AU going ahead and using and abusing that credit, even if it was understood that this wasn't supposed to happen.

Grab the good out of it, and then skitter away!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

does anyone know how long it takes score to raise. I was added as an au on 12.20.07---how long does it take for scores to improve
Message 5 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

lalahouse wrote:
does anyone know how long it takes score to raise. I was added as an au on 12.20.07---how long does it take for scores to improve

The instant it reports. Since you were added recently it may take up to 60 days but every CCC is different. Which CCC is this?
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

amex.chase,target
Message 7 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Amex is very slow to report, Chase is much faster, not sure about target.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

they have reported--yet no score change
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.