cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can scoring factors in 1 cat impact each other?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can scoring factors in 1 cat impact each other?

I got to thinking about this when reading another thread on here recently.  My question is within the same scorecard and within the same scoring criteria factor (slice of the Fico pie) on that scorecard, can different factors impact one another?

I think it's easiest to explain what I mean by offering an example, using the Amounts Owed category.

Cornelius and Rupert have identical profiles outside of the Amounts Owed category.  They both have 10 [identical] CCs.  They are both at the same reported aggregate utilization amount;  We'll say 12%.  Cornelius has non-zero balances reported on all 10 of his CCs, where Rupert has non-zero balances reported 5 of his CCs.  This would naturally mean that Rupert's balances on average are twice those of Cornelius in order to arrive at the same aggregate utilization percentage, but lets assume that no individual card thresholds are crossed.  This could mean that Cornelius has all $120 balances on 10 $1000 limit cards and Rupert has $240 balances on just 5 of those same $1000 limit cards, for example.  If both Cornelius and Rupert were to pay their aggregate utilization down across the known threshold to (say) 7%, while maintaining the exact same number of accounts with a balance, would their scores both increase the exact same amount?

Rupert's starting score on an otherwise equal profile would likely be higher since he's at 50% of accounts with a balance compared to Cornelius' 100%.  For the sake of numbers let's say Rupert is starting at 740 and Cornelius at 730 because of that.  Will the aggregate utilization threshold being crossed be "worth" the same number of points to both individuals... say 20 points... meaning that Rupert bumps up to 760 and Cornelius to 750?  Or, is it at all possible that the number/percentage of accounts with a balance factor can influence (signal strength) the score gain realized from the utilization threshold crossing on these otherwise equal profiles?  

I'm not sure if the answer here is a definite "No" or "Yes" or if it's a we don't know at this time. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can scoring factors in 1 cat impact each other?

FICO uses different algorithms to compute scores for each scoring bracket that the consumer is first determined to be in.

While the criteria for placement into each scoring bracket and its resulting scorecard are trade secrets, it is at least known that it is not one algorithm fits all consumers.

Since scoring in one category can lead to movement of the consumer from one scorecard/scoring bracket to another, and since each category of scoring has different algorithms for each individual scorecard being used, then I would say that scoring in one category can impact scoring in all others if the scoring moves from one scorecard/bracket to another.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Since scoring in one category can lead to movement of the consumer from one scorecard/scoring bracket to another, and since each category of scoring has different algorithms for each individual scorecard being used, then I would say that scoring in one category can impact scoring in all others if the scoring moves from one scorecard/bracket to another.

I think I follow what you're saying.  I however am talking about remaining in the same scorecard and the same scoring category within that scorecard (Amounts Owed in the original post example).  Whether one factor in one category can impact other factors within that same category.  I'm not sure I'm explaining it the best way.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my opinion the only way that would happen would be the example given by Robert. I don’t think it happens otherwise, but nothing is definite, we don’t know the trade secrets. The one example we had of that has been withdrawn. I know of no others.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.