Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain me this? Thanks

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Can someone explain me this? Thanks

@Anonymous wrote:

I do not at all agree that paid monitoring is a waste of money. We easily spend money on Netflix, eating out, buying clothes, or a host of other unncessary stuff. 

For me Credit Check Total https://www.creditchecktotal.com/  at $14.99/month is an investment in knowing what's going on with my credit and financial profile. It may not be necessary for everyone. It gives me a comfort level in knowing in real time things that can effect my financial health and profile. Since our financial or credit profile has such a large impact on how we transact business and access credit and financial resources here, I want to be on top of it for myself and not feel like I am at the mercy of others who have a far greater insight to my credit profile than I do. 

And I understand there are blah blah blah number of Fico versions. 

As far as answering the OP, I've been in a similar situatio  where you pay down your CC balances by $2000+ in a month and expect a score jump, and little to nothing happens. Then the next month youpay down your balances by a far smaller amount and the score jumps 10-15 points. But it is disconcerting when your score falls. 

Keep plugging away at paying your individual CC balances down and the overall balances down. Get your individual card and overall balance down below 30%, then 20% and lastly then with the 1-9% range. If your total CC balances remain high, then even paying down $2000+ in a month may not give you the immediate boost you were expecting. But in time your score will jump. 

What are your CC balances to CL? What is your individual CC utlization % and overall utilization %. The anwser to your score change likely lies in those factors. 

Give us more information to work with. 

Yes, it may not be a huge waste of money but is it still worth it?   My questions would be:

1) Does the information gained cause you to do something different (our doctors and vets always stress this, "Yes, we could do test X, but whatever the result it wouldn't change the treatement plan.   Do you really want us to do it?" with expected answer "No"!)

2) Does it sometimes cause stress (Oh no, my score decreased by 7 points!!!!)?

As Open said, it's a little like stocks: some people track daily/hourly movements of stocks that they have no plans to sell, and get too wrapped up in small random movements.

So I understand it makes you feel more in control, my question is: is that control really meaningful?   In any case, you might decide the monthly fee is worth it for that feeling....

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, we all likely waste money on a few things regularly but that doesnt mean paying for monitoring isnt also a waste. Depends on the individual. For me its not necessary to keep up with every single score change daily. For what? Especially unnecessary since I have cards that provide monthly scores for all three bureaus. Not planning on applying for credit anytime soon, no need for a loan, mortgage etc. What I will do is check the report information accuracy directly on the bureaus sites once in awhile, for free, but thats about it.
Message 12 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

"Waste of money" is of course subjective, but my point is really -- what is the advantage of having the minute by minute details of your score? It goes up and down constantly, and if you aren't apping for anything major, what does it even matter? A score is just a number and a snapshot in time.

The more important thing is the bigger picture of your credit report. Although Credit Karma is widely bashed, it is free and offers a basic overview of what's going on in your reports (EQ and TU). Combine that with other cards offering free real scores and I just cannot justify paying for the monitoring. Yes, we all waste money on things, but this is one thing that I truly can skip. YMMV.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a creditor thing just as much as a bureau thing still have a few my credit cards that haven't released August numbers. So if you were a good boy and paid off something in September and a July carried balance is still sitting there, just count on trends. That's all you can do
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The reason for the score decrease on a reduced balance is simple. myFICO updates your score only upon triggering events. However, your score change calculation takes into account all reported changes to your credit profile. Thus, some other change to your profile is reducing your score. Not all changes to your profile trigger a credit score update. 

The following link discusses triggers for score alerts - http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/myFICO-Product-Feedback/FICO-3-Bureau-Credit-Monitoring-Frequently-a...

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey same thing happened to me when I opened the Wal-Mart store card score went down 30pts however the my fico alert stated "account balance has decreased by $75 (-30pts decrease)" a few days later I get an alert "New Account Was Added Wal-Mart SYNC (no points loss on the alert)" guess the points become updated as soon as an alert is shown even if that paticular alert has nothing to do with the points being dropped.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.