cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain to me my credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can someone explain to me my credit score?

Hi everyone! 

I have made on other post on here before so if my question has been answered already I apologize. I just requested my Experian credit report (1/3 for the year). Currently with my credit union my score is reported at 619 and 649 on another one of my accounts. It was 715 last year and I am trying to understand why it has dropped so much. According to my credit report none of my accounts have been late and are all in good standing, I have a few hard inquiries due to applying for more student loans and applied for a few balance transfer cards. Here are some more details:

Amazon Prime Store Card (synchrony) 3,100 limit (2,426 balance to date)

Crate and Barrel Store Card (comenity) 5000 limit (1,680 balance to date) 

Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier (chase) 6,000 limit (5,700 balance to date) 

Barclays card 1,500 limit (0 Balance)

Best Buy Store Card (citi) (159 Balance) 

Credit Union Credit card 1000 limit (0 balance) 

I have student loans with deferred payments until January 2018 (at which point I hope to have all of these CC balances under control, I have made another post about my current debt situation and that problem is well under control) 

My question is what could be the biggest thing hurting my credit score? I dont have many inquiries, but I think it is my utilization. Also are my student loans part of what is the problem? my parents cosigned on all student loans and they have excellent credit if that matters. 

I am paying down these balances above at a rate of 1000 dollars per month and eliminating balances with highest interest rate first and then so on and so forth. Is there anything I should be doing to improve my score other than continuing to pay down these balances above? 

Thanks in advance for any help and again I apologize for any redundancy. 

3 REPLIES 3
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Re: Can someone explain to me my credit score?

First, you may not be comparing apples to apples. Unless you are looking at FICO 08 and comparing it to FICO 08 from the same source (say myFICO) you are likely comparing different scoring models.

Your Southwest Airlines is likely the biggest drag on you scores as it is at 95% utilization (unless there is negative data on your reports). The first improvement should be paying your balance dow to 89% or lower. Ultimately get one card that reports less than 10% utilization to optimize the score.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your utilization is killing your scores as it is very high.  You're in the hole for about $10k in CC debt; paying this down will greating help your scores.

How was your utilization the last time you checked your scores compared to what it is today?

Message 3 of 4
silkysean
Regular Contributor

The recent new inquires and accounts plus 3/6 of your credit cards are over the 30% limit threshold thus hurting your scores.Pay it down and just let one or 2 cards max report a small balance of about $5-10 and inquires will age off with time no drop off after 2 years.Good luck OP

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.