cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone help me understand Transunion Fico 9???

tag
jonblaze24
New Contributor

Can someone help me understand Transunion Fico 9???

I've tried looking at past posts but I think it's just confusing me more as it seems answers are all over the place. 

I have a MC through my bank, and my overall scores have increased since I have opened it....so I decided hey its time to request a CLI. I was declined, but in the letter I got from my bank they stated that the reason was based off of my TransUnion FICO9. The stated that score is a 621. 

Everything I see through my credit monitoring shows my Transunion Fico scores ranging from 670-700....I called TU and they told me Fico9 is a whole different ballgame. 

The only chargeoff I have in the last 7 years has been paid in full, and I think I have 2 active 30-days from 3 years ago (had another one removed by Cap1 about 4 months ago)

I'm genuinely curious as to why such a differential....is there something I need to look into on Fico's end or are Fico9's generally lower than 8's???? Am I able to dispute something with Fico or would it have to go through TU? Obviously thats quite a big difference that also brings me from "Good" to "Fair"....which could be a reason for the declination. 

Thanks@!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Can someone help me understand Transunion Fico 9???

The algorithms between the various versions of FICO scores differ somewhat in what they look for and the importance they assign to each element.    Results between FICO 8 and FICO 9 scores do tend to be fairly close to one another in most cases but depending upon the specifics of your own profile the differences can vary. 

If you look at my scores in my signature you'll see that my FICO 9 scores are roughly 20 points higher than my FICO 8 scores and that's been pretty consistent from month-to-month.  Others do have higher FICO 8 than FICO 9 scores. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 6
jonblaze24
New Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

The algorithms between the various versions of FICO scores differ somewhat in what they look for and the importance they assign to each element.    Results between FICO 8 and FICO 9 scores do tend to be fairly close to one another in most cases but depending upon the specifics of your own profile the differences can vary. 

If you look at my scores in my signature you'll see that my FICO 9 scores are roughly 20 points higher than my FICO 8 scores and that's been pretty consistent from month-to-month.  Others do have higher FICO 8 than FICO 9 scores. 

Thank you for that response. I did see quite a few responses that peoples FICO 9's were higher, but here we are talking 60-70 points lower than my FICO 8. I really was more so curious as to how do I find out why such a difference? Clearly something is triggering the 9 to be significantly lower and my concern is something might be reporting incorrectly....how would I go about this? 

Message 3 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@jonblaze24 wrote:

I've tried looking at past posts but I think it's just confusing me more as it seems answers are all over the place. 

I have a MC through my bank, and my overall scores have increased since I have opened it....so I decided hey its time to request a CLI. I was declined, but in the letter I got from my bank they stated that the reason was based off of my TransUnion FICO9. The stated that score is a 621. 

Everything I see through my credit monitoring shows my Transunion Fico scores ranging from 670-700....I called TU and they told me Fico9 is a whole different ballgame. 

The only chargeoff I have in the last 7 years has been paid in full, and I think I have 2 active 30-days from 3 years ago (had another one removed by Cap1 about 4 months ago)

I'm genuinely curious as to why such a differential....is there something I need to look into on Fico's end or are Fico9's generally lower than 8's???? Am I able to dispute something with Fico or would it have to go through TU? Obviously thats quite a big difference that also brings me from "Good" to "Fair"....which could be a reason for the declination. 

Thanks@!

You say "Everything I see through my credit monitoring shows my Transunion Fico scores ranging from 670-700...."  If you're looking at a MyFICO report it would tell you your FICO 9 with TU data.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@jonblaze24 wrote:

Thanks@!

You say "Everything I see through my credit monitoring shows my Transunion Fico scores ranging from 670-700...."  If you're looking at a MyFICO report it would tell you your FICO 9 with TU data.

If you really want to get to the bottom of it you need to look at a 3-bureau report from MyFICO, compare your FICO 9 scores among TU, EX, and EQ, and then compare the underlying report data to find any differences.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 5 of 6
Phana24
Regular Contributor

@jonblaze24 wrote:

Thanks@!

You have me baffled.  The key differences between 8 and 9 are that 9 does NOT penalize you for paid collections(I assume that applies to COs as well) and places less emphasis on medical debt.  In my experience with rebuilding both my score and wifey's, FICO 9 lagged the 8s significantly, but not by 50 to 80 points, 20 to 30 was normal.  Is it possible that a combination of a lag along with different reporting schedules is the culprit?  Some of these companies, most notably Amex, pull older CRs.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.