Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't figure out TU

tag
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Can't figure out TU

I'm pretty well done with rebuilding, but my TU lags the other two by a good amount and I don't understand why. When I first started trying to improve my credit, then TU was the one who led the way and was 30 points or so higher throughout the time baddies were still present, but now that I have clean reports its about 20-30 points lower and I have no idea why. 

The oldest on it is the same as what I have on EX. I do have one account on EQ that has been closed a long time but never fell( even though it should be gone, but not complaining, sots at 24 Y while the rest the oldest is 14 Y). The rest of the reports are identical as in number of accounts, average age, youngest, utilization, no baddies, etc. I do have one paid collection on EQ, but it's not on any of the others. 

The only thing I can think of is the TU scores utilization on installment loans or CC's differently than the others, but not sure. Scores are in my sig, TU did briefly go up to the 750 last month, but I let a little higher than normal balance report on one of my cards of a little over 10% and it dropped back down 3 points to 747, where it has sort of been stuck around for several months

Does anyone have any idea of what may be causing this discrepancy?

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can't figure out TU

Much if it is just natural variance if your report data is the same. 

A 10-15 point variance is quite common across all 3 scores when using identical report data, but there have been reports of 20-30 points and I think the highest I've ever seen (no doubt an outlier) was 36 points. 

One thing you didn't mention in your post was your number of scoreable inquiries per bureau.  Since inquiries typically aren't the same across all 3B, often they can be a factor influencing one score more than another.

There are factors that are considered differently across bureaus.  One is number of accounts with a balance.  This penalty can often be seen earliest by EQ (33% of accounts).  Sometimes it's not seen at all with EX; I'm a good example of that, as I can have all (7-8) of my revolvers report a small balance and see no ding at all to my EX score, where TU may drop (say) 14 points from the same thing.  So, if I have natural 12 point variance between my EX and TU scores with identical report data when at AZEO and then I go to all accounts with a balance reported (still same report data) and my EX score stays constant and TU drops 14 points, I now have a 26 point variance between the two scores with identical report data.  This is just one example, of course.

Message 2 of 5
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Yeh I forgot about inquires, but that would make it more strange. I have 1 on TU that is scorable. 3 under 2 years. Both EX and EQ have 3 or 4 scorable respectively.   

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 3 of 5
Trudy
Valued Contributor

For my profile TU is more sensitive to # of accts reporting and even more sensitive to CC UTL.  Can't say about installment loans as I'm at 75% UTL and was at 850 on TU.  I also saw the most points loss for new account and INQ on TU when I re-fi'd last year.

Unlike BBS, EQ for my profile is the bullet proof bureau and barely responds to these things where EX responds to # of accts reporting (even more so with other EX scores), but not nearly as much as TU.  Although currently EX is the outlier and the only bureau with an old 30D and the most inquiries, this has been my experience when all bureaus had identical information.

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve definitely noticed that TransUnion is more sensitive to number of accounts with a balance.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.