cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can this be right? higher balance-big score increase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can this be right? higher balance-big score increase?

Hopefully someone can give some insight into what is happening here. 

My CSP reported this month with a balance of $450, up from $215 last month. I have Fico monitoring and when this reported, my TU jumped all the way to 735 and my EQ jumped from 717 to 741. How is this possible?? I'm certainly not complaining, just very surprised/confused.

Not sure if this is related or not, but as of 6/30 my Discover It turned 1 year old...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can this be right? higher balance-big score increase?

@Anonymous wrote:

My CSP reported this month with a balance of $450, up from $215 last month. I have Fico monitoring and when this reported, my TU jumped all the way to 735 and my EQ jumped from 717 to 741. How is this possible?? I'm certainly not complaining, just very surprised/confused.

Not sure if this is related or not, but as of 6/30 my Discover It turned 1 year old...

Their is no cause and effect between the alerts and the scores given.  A MF alert is due to specific events that trigger them (in this case a balance change) and the alert happened at a time where your scores rose due to some other factor.  Scores are constantly fluctuating up and down and often we will never see that or know why.  This is the same reason that people complain that a balance decrease caused their score to drop.  The alert was caused by the balance change but the score changed due to some other factor.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Their is no cause and effect between the alerts and the scores given.  A MF alert is due to specific events that trigger them (in this case a balance change) and the alert happened at a time where your scores rose due to some other factor.  Scores are constantly fluctuating up and down and often we will never see that or know why.  This is the same reason that people complain that a balance decrease caused their score to drop.  The alert was caused by the balance change but the score changed due to some other factor.

That makes a lot of sense. Sounds like you're saying that the score is actually constantly changing, but the only time it updates in the MF alerts page is when something new is reported, even if that has nothing to do with the score itself.

Thanks for letting me know! 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That makes a lot of sense. Sounds like you're saying that the score is actually constantly changing, but the only time it updates in the MF alerts page is when something new is reported, even if that has nothing to do with the score itself.

Thanks for letting me know! 

Exactly right.  I should have included this link in my original response but as you can see there are only a few 'events' that actually trigger alerts:

http://myfico.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/463/kw/3-bureau%20monitoring/session/L3RpbWUvMTQxMjI5OTE5OC9zaWQvMWxBTVdVM20%3D

Message 4 of 6
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There is typically a dead band associated with credit card utilization - so if you stay within a certain range, your score is not impacted. Hard inquiries (you get one when you apply for a new CC) do affect your score. Each hard inquiry shows on your report for 2 years. However, after one year the inquiry is no longer viewed as negative in scoring..

Since your DC reached the one year milestone, the inquiry associated with it has dropped off and this may be the reason for your score increase - particularly if it is yout only recent inquiry.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 5 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

During part of my uber cleanliness for mortgage, I got a couple of datapoints where a couple of my accounts turned one year old and didn't get any movement at all FICO 8 and not on the earlier models either though I didn't get the full set of datapoints for those.

There may or may not be a tradeline seasoning boundary at six months, but doesn't appear to be one at a year other than the inquiry dropping from scoring if that happened to be on that report.

        
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.