Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can too much credit drop scores?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can too much credit drop scores?

Is there a revolving credit line limit before scores drop?

Maybe $100k, $200k, $300k, $400k, $500k, ect.

I've seen credit reports in these CL numbers so it is a legit question.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can too much credit drop scores?

I heard once that individual revolving CL's over a certain $ amount get partially or fully removed from the formula.

I wanna say 30K.

Nothing to do with overall CL's.
Message 2 of 6
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I heard once that individual revolving CL's over a certain $ amount get partially or fully removed from the formula.

I wanna say 30K.

Nothing to do with overall CL's.

I would like to hear some other responses re: lines over 30K being removed in calculations.
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

From the various and limited disclosures that FairIsaac has made about  their secret and proprietary modeling, % util is far and above the most important. Clearly, 30% (revlov + install).  But with %util being equal, they aappear to then frown upon more than 5 revolving CLs open. Dont know why, but that is what they say in their posted Powerpoint presentations..  More than 5 CL's open seems to concern their model, but the %util seems to remain linear.  Three to five revolving seems to be smiled upon, but more seem to cause their bits and bytes some concern.  Just my observations from what FairiIsaac has posted about their modeliing, and what their simple simulator has shown, over and over..  The reverse-enginnering of FICO scores is almost iimpossible to predict!  But it is discernible.
20 CL's dont impress their model.  Keep it to five.
Message 4 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

RobertEG wrote:
From the various and limited disclosures that FairIsaac has made about  their secret and proprietary modeling, % util is far and above the most important. Clearly, 30% (revlov + install).  But with %util being equal, they aappear to then frown upon more than 5 revolving CLs open. Dont know why, but that is what they say in their posted Powerpoint presentations..  More than 5 CL's open seems to concern their model, but the %util seems to remain linear.  Three to five revolving seems to be smiled upon, but more seem to cause their bits and bytes some concern.  Just my observations from what FairiIsaac has posted about their modeliing, and what their simple simulator has shown, over and over..  The reverse-enginnering of FICO scores is almost iimpossible to predict!  But it is discernible.
20 CL's dont impress their model.  Keep it to five.

Interesting but there are a lot of people with scores above 760 with 10, 15 and even more open revolving TLs. Are they suffering, no but one has to wonder if they closed all but 5 accounts would their scores be near 800.
Message 5 of 6
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Click on credit education at the top of www.myfico.com    The amount of the line of credit has no factor in the fico score. it deos not matter if your line of credit is $ 100, $ 1,000, $ 10,000, $ 100,000 and so on.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.