Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you pull your score too often?

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: Can you pull your score too often?

@JaysonT wrote:

If you are trying to get the /12 scores, you don't need to use the unique URL last I checked.  Just use the direct links:

Standard scores (both):

https://www.myfico.com/Store/Recommends.aspx?Product=10001+1&Check=False

Myfico/12 scores (both):

https://www.myfico.com/Store/Recommends.aspx?Product=13001+3001&Check=False

Note, you are just changing the product codes for each.  This has worked for me previously and I don't have any reason to believe it has changed.

I just pulled DW's /12 TU 800+ score using

https://www.myfico.com/Store/Recommends.aspx?Product=13001&Check=False

I noticed three things:

1) There is a Hurting you section

2) There is no Helping you section

3) There is no score simulator

2) and 3) surprised me by the mere absence. 1) listed two things (are these the reason codes?):

a) You've recently been looking for credit

b) You have too many credit accounts with balances

a) makes sense due to a recent inquiry. b) however does not; apart from the mortgage account balance, there is only one credit card with a balance, and she has many credit cards.

Message 11 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

I just pulled DW's /12 TU 800+ score using

https://www.myfico.com/Store/Recommends.aspx?Product=13001&Check=False

I noticed three things:

1) There is a Hurting you section

2) There is no Helping you section

3) There is no score simulator

2) and 3) surprised me by the mere absence. 1) listed two things (are these the reason codes?):

a) You've recently been looking for credit

b) You have too many credit accounts with balances

a) makes sense due to a recent inquiry. b) however does not; apart from the mortgage account balance, there is only one credit card with a balance, and she has many credit cards.

The slant-12 is essentially the report that lenders pull, which is why it lists all the negatives (down to 2 in your DW's case!) but none of the amusement/ instructive features of a myFICO score report.

I suppose b) might be because TU doesn't ding for all CC's with $0 balances, so in that sense, she could (maybe) eke out a few more points for only the mortgage having a balance. Not worth it, though, probably.

Let us know if the next time you try to log on you get automatically taken to slant-12. Most people have to remove the cookie in order to stop going there.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 19
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

The 13001 URL for DW did not stick, back to standard. In another browser, I used the /12 URL for myself, and that's sticking due to the cookie.

Thanks for confirming she's down to two listed reason codes. I'll try bringing her down to a revolving baseline again next month and see if the reason code is still there.

As for the inquiry, that'll go away at some point of course. But it raises the question of whether it's possible to have no reason codes at all? She's getting completely out of hand, lol.

Message 13 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Reason code #41: you have no reason codes. Smiley Very Happy

I guess it's possible. I mean, someone, somewhere, has to eventually hit FICO nirvana, whether it's actually 850 or 8-something-something. Sounds like she's nearly there.

If the slant-12 only showed two, my understanding is that she only has two negative factors, and they're obviously both pretty weenie.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 19
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

I noticed a difference by the way. The /12 URL lists reason code numbers, when the other URL does not.

Message 15 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

For anyone else who's curious, there's a link stickied at the top of this page for the reason codes and their numbers, which differ by CRA report.

Message 16 of 19
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

I almost forgot because Discover forgot about her first statement, but now that DW's card is past the second cycle, it got reported, just popped up on EX, so a reason code 30, "You opened a new credit card account relatively recently.", will soon show up on her TU. But TU is more lenient than EQ, I think. Six months vs a year.

Reason code 8, "You have recently been looking for credit." DW was simply lucky that her Discover chose EQ and that her Costco half a year earlier chose EX. Her one inquiry is from last November.

Reason 5, "You have too many credit cards with balances." We always talk about cards, but maybe TU includes mortgages and that sort.

The only other code, a fourth, that I have, due to two new cards, is a 14, "You have a short credit history." TU is more critical than EQ in that respect, it would appear. Something like 5 years vs 3 years. I have a few months before shaking off that code.

Everything will be so much easier then. Smiley Very Happy

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

Reason 5, "You have too many credit cards with balances." We always talk about cards, but maybe TU includes mortgages and that sort.

Yep.  Reason 5 for EQ, EXP, and TU refers to mortgages, home equity loans, education loans, auto loans, credit card, personal lines of credit and even outstanding collections. 

The higher number of accounts with balances, the greater negative impact on our credit score.  This issue raises our risk much more than the number of accounts open because we have active debt.

Message 18 of 19
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

The funny thing about TU is this.

If I have a mortgage with a balance and only one credit card balance, the reason code is 5, "You have too many credit cards with balances."

But when that credit card balance is $0 (and all cards are thereby at $0), the reason code is 24(?), "There are no recent balances on your revolving credit accounts."

Is there any way to please those people? Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.