Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrying balance on no-CL card vs CL card

tag
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

Carrying balance on no-CL card vs CL card

Happy Monday,

Within the past couple of months, I've stopped carrying a balance (non-interest) on my AMEX, and started to carry on my new Venture. I know that for maximum FICO score it's good to carry a small balance on a single card, and that a $0 balance actually hurts your score.

With that in mind, I have yet to see my Venture actually report to my CR. If it doesn't, will this end up hurting my score since the CR will show a $0 balance on all revolving cards? Should I continue carrying a small balance on my AMEX, and just pay off the Venture in full each month? I don't need to carry a balance on either card, I do it simply for the credit utilization score, so WHICH card carries the balance doesn't really matter to me--other than whatever balance I carry on the AMEX will not contribute to my No Hassle Miles balance. Smiley Happy

----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Carrying balance on no-CL card vs CL card

What type of Amex account is it one where you have to pay the balnce in full each month or can you carry a balance?

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 3
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

Re: Carrying balance on no-CL card vs CL card

AMEX Gold Delta SM

Can carry a balance, 10,000 CL

----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.