Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catch 22 with premium credit cards

tag
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Catch 22 with premium credit cards

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

My understanding was that there were some inaccuracies in this quote. I remember something about this one, the one in Fox Business News.

It was a misinterpretation, more than a misquote, but I do remember that the confusion centered around the scoring of charge cards. I'll see if I can dig something up.

I remember that also but so far I can't find the post.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 11 of 18
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Simple My FICO  credit report says my credit utilzation is X%. The same report said the total revolving debt was Y amount.  If you take x and diviide into Y it will give the approximate  amount that the X is a percentage of.  If the  resulting amount is higher than your total credit limits you know that a balance has been excluded.  In my case you had to use open account balance amount.  Simply put you could not get to X% without that balance being included it was about 25% or more of my total balnces. The high balance amount was not being included in the total credit limits on the open account.. I am of the opinion based the high balance amount is never included the FICO credit utilzation. I also think it is not a misquote. Since this website is being co-sponsered by FICO you should be able to FICO support a simple question. As far as that card that is NPSL it will be closed it the reporting of the credit limit is not changed.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 12 of 18
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@AndySoCal wrote:

Simple My FICO  credit report says my credit utilzation is X%. The same report said the total revolving debt was Y amount.  If you take x and diviide into Y it will give the approximate  amount that the X is a percentage of.  If the  resulting amount is higher than your total credit limits you know that a balance has been excluded.  In my case you had to use open account balance amount.  Simply put you could not get to X% without that balance being included it was about 25% or more of my total balnces. The high balance amount was not being included in the total credit limits on the open account.. I am of the opinion based the high balance amount is never included the FICO credit utilzation. I also think it is not a misquote. Since this website is being co-sponsered by FICO you should be able to FICO support a simple question. As far as that card that is NPSL it will be closed it the reporting of the credit limit is not changed.

Okay, so I did understand your earlier post correctly.  As I illustrated in my earlier response, this can be a very poor approximation of the actual credit limits used to calculate one's utilization.

Speaking in generalities is perhaps not an effective way to discuss this confusing topic.  So I'll illustrate what I'm actually seeing on my credit reports.

Again, I will reiterate that when it comes to "open" accounts, TU98 uses the high balance (if reported) as a surrogate for credit limit, and the balance and high balance will both be used in utilization.  If neither a CL or a high balance is reported, then the account is excluded from utilization.

For EQ, since it is a newer version of FICO, all "open" accounts are excluded from utilization, regardless of whether a high balance or credit limit is reported.

So, here's my situation.

Last fall, I pulled both TU and EQ on the same day.

The total revolving balance was $2677.

Of this, $1932 were on my two Chase cards.  These are "open" accounts.  Their actual credit limits total $29,500, which is not reported.  Their combined high balances are $9799.

Both TU and EQ have the same accounts - thus the same total credit limits.  On TU, since it is an older version of FICO, to calculate utilization it will use the balances on all my accounts, including the "open" Chase accounts.  It will use the CLs on my other cards, plus the high balance amounts for the Chase accounts, which equals a combined credit limit of $68,600.

$2677 / $68,600 = 4% utilization, which is exactly what appears on my TU report.

So the TU report makes sense.  It's an older version of FICO, and thus uses the current balance and past high balance of this open account.

Now let's look at my EQ utilization.

As I mentioned above, in the newer versions of FICO - which includes the EQ score here - open accounts are excluded from utilization altogether.  It doesn't matter whether it reports a CL or a high balance.  If it's an open account, it's excluded from utilization.

Most of my revolving debt was on my two "open" Chase accounts.  Only $745 was on my other credit cards.  The total credit limits of my other credit cards - excluding both the actual CLs AND the high balance of the Chase accounts - is $58,801.

$745 / $58,801 = 1% utilization.  This is exactly what appears on my EQ report from the same day.

So, in my case it's pretty evident that the balances on my "open" accounts are excluded from the calculation of utilization.  There's no way that it could be.  Even if my total true CLs were used to calculate utilization, this would come out to:

$2677 / $88,301 = 3% utilization.

The only possible way for EQ to come up with with a utilization of 1% would be to exclude the balance on my "open" accounts.  So at least in my case, the theory that open accounts are excluded from utilization - their balance, credit limit, and high balance - is supported.

Message 13 of 18
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

What was the loan type on the chase cards?  Also, it is not a poor way to figure the total credit limits used it is basic math. If you nknow the percentage and you know the number it i based on you can calculate the number it is a percentage of.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 14 of 18
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@AndySoCal wrote:

What was the loan type on the chase cards?  Also, it is not a poor way to figure the total credit limits used it is basic math. If you nknow the percentage and you know the number it i based on you can calculate the number it is a percentage of.

Let me highlight again why this is not an accurate way to figure the total credit limits.  It's because of the rounding of the utilization percentage that you mentioned in post number 8.  To quote one of my earlier posts:

"Because of the rounding of the utilization, I don't think you can accurately calculate the credit limit used by rearranging the equation (i.e. [total revolving debt] / [utilization percentage] = [credit limit]).  For example, let's say I have a utilization that's calculated to be 4%.  This could be exactly 4%, or 3.5%, or 4.4%.  These will all round to 4%.  If my revolving balance is $3000, here are the possible CLs that could be calculated:

$3000 / 0.035 = $85,714 CL

$3000/ 0.04 = $75,000

$3000/ 0.044 = $68,182"

A 4% utilization in the scenario can generate approximate CLs that may differ by as much as $17,532.

And as I mentioned several times the my previous post, those Chase cards are "open" accounts.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quite a bit of discussion on the finer details of the topic I presented! Thank you all. To clear the trees from the forest, this simple statement should suffice. I've had my gold AMEX since 1986. I charge more than $50,000 every year. I could do that on my other cards but then they would be running against high utilization. AMEX would do me a favor if they would report a $100,000 limit and that would be used in the utilization every month. Having it constantly excluded is not right. The $100,000 limit would not be a issue since if I wanted to charge $150,000, a call would be made and they would probably approve it.

So why do I care with a FICO over 800? Because, as is apparent on these forums, trying to max out your FICO is a game we play.

Message 16 of 18
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@AndySoCal wrote:

If you take x and diviide into Y it will give the approximate  amount that the X is a percentage of.

No. That total balance of revolving accounts isn't for util cards only.

Message 17 of 18
larinoriani
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So why do I care with a FICO over 800? Because, as is apparent on these forums, trying to max out your FICO is a game we play.

Don't sweat it.Most people here that plays that game, usually are preparing to apply for specific either loans, CC, or mortgage. Doing that all the time can become highly stressing!!  If you have a good score, you already have it, it's suppose to fluctuate.Smiley Wink

Starting Score: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2010: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2011: TU 753
Goal Score: EQ 800--TU 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.