Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caught with my FICO pants down

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Caught with my FICO pants down

@Anonymouswrote:

Well, what important to realize is that any utilization-related score change of X number of points would be exactly reversed if you reversed the utilization event that caused the drop in X points.  So, a $65 balance reporting caused your score to drop X, you would gain X back as soon as that $65 balance reported back to what it was prior ($0, presumably).

Could be, however I doubt it will be that simple and predictable. 

OP has done a good job getting rid of baddies, but as long as some remain, that unfortunately puts a wild card into the mix. Random changes such as a new $65 on a card that was quiet for a while contributes something, but other factors not so apparent may be causing this change, meaning zeroing this card may not get back exactly those points. In a clean file, very likely. 

OP have you checked your mortgage scores? The FICO 8 scoring is different, and knowing where you really stand with a mortgage score is what you really want to track. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525

Could be, however I doubt it will be that simple and predictable. 

OP has done a good job getting rid of baddies, but as long as some remain, that unfortunately puts a wild card into the mix. Random changes such as a new $65 on a card that was quiet for a while contributes something, but other factors not so apparent may be causing this change, meaning zeroing this card may not get back exactly those points. In a clean file, very likely. 

What you're suggesting above is that something other than a utilization change could have caused his score change.  That's very true and something that we don't know.  My statement that you commented on above however assumes that the score change DID come from the utilization/balance reported change.  That being said, what I stated is 100% true and accurate.  A score drop (or gain) caused by a utilization change would be exactly reversed if that utilization change were again reversed. 

Message 12 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

I have a revolving charge account with a $1,200 limit that I haven't used in about six months, and it had a zero balance all of that time. Well, I decided to buy a $65 pair of pants and the FICO gods dinged me with nine points off my Experian and eight points off TU --- Equifax wasn't impacted -- as soon as that $65 balance was shown on my monthly statement, which will be paid off to a zero balance again by the due date.

Other than the true ridiculousness of losing that many pioints off my FICO score for having the nerve to buy myself a pair of pants, my question is: Will my scores rebound to where they were previously once that $65 balance is paid back down to zero? Or will this pair of pants continue to cost me a lower score for months to come?

I doubt that a $65 balance caused the point loss.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have nothing more to add.  I just wanna KUDO the OP for the best post title of the week.

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, quite creative!

Message 15 of 17
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

I have nothing more to add.  I just wanna KUDO the OP for the best post title of the week.

Agreed... I find this thread quite revealing.

Message 16 of 17
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

In fact, I bought a pair of pants this weekend.  Better make sure to PIF before that card reports

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.