Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed accounts and credit scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed accounts and credit scores

I have several old closed accounts on my credit reports. They were all closed in good standing with 0 balances either by me or by the creditor. Some ofthese are well over 10 years old. Are they hurting my scores? Should I try and have them removed? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Closed accounts and credit scores

Leave them there. They're likely helping your average age of accounts.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have several old closed accounts on my credit reports. They were all closed in good standing with 0 balances either by me or by the creditor. Some ofthese are well over 10 years old. Are they hurting my scores? Should I try and have them removed? 

10 years since they were opened or 10 years since they were closed?  Typically they'll vanish from your credit report 10 years after the date the account was closed.  If you have some that have been closed for more than 10 years that are still on your report, it is actually positively impacting your AAoA by being there... so consider it a bonus as long as it remains there!

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Closed in good standing only reflects that the debt was paid.

It does not necessarily mean that there were no payment history derogs along the way.

Have all derogs now become excluded, thus also making the account positive in the sense that it is absent of any adverse items?

Message 4 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

On the contrary, they're helping your scores, not hurting them.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.