Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing a credit card

tag
joeyv1985
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Card Removal

Hello,

The Citi Double Cash card currently has a balance of about $2400 on it. Capital One has a $500 balance. Everything else has a zero balance. Credit One charges me an annual fee of $95-100 on the older card. 

Message 11 of 15
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

If you don't want to cancel it, call and see if you can get the fee waived.  Eventually you'll want to cancel it though.  100/yr for no perks is not a permanent card.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 12 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@joeyv1985 wrote:

All,

I'm pondering on removing a Credit One(Highlighted) credit card from my arsenal. I don't really have a long file on my CC's because I hit a bump in the road about 8-10 years ago. Since then I'm back on solid footing and I've been able to acquire some pretty solid/premium CC's. Below is a list on what I have currently, 6 CC's. I would like to trim that down to 5 CC's and eventually down to 3-4 CC's without adversly effecting my Credit Score. Please feel free to chime in. Thanks. 

Credit Card           Date Opened         Credit Limit
Credit One                8/2014                  $1,500
Capital One              10/2015                $4,000
Credit One*               11/2019                $1,500
Citi Double Cash      1/2020                  $11,000
Citi AAdvan Plat       2/2020                  $8,500
Chase Saph Pref      2/2020                  $5,000

I was initially declined for the CSP, however I was able to get one after calling the Recon line last night.

Just close it, and actually close the other Credit One card too.  

You can pay off any revolving utilization issues and beyond that it's a non-event from a credit perspective,

I just kicked a 30K line to the curb, my scores didn't even flinch and if they had, I could make them righteous by paying down a little more next month.

        
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah now that you’ve listed your cards and told us your fees I would get rid of both of the Credit ones. 12 months from now you can think about adding one or two.
Message 14 of 15
joeyv1985
Frequent Contributor

That's what I'm going to do. I'll shoot for an upgrade from Capital One as well. Thanks Birdman. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.