cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing accounts with no balance, that charge annual fees?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing accounts with no balance, that charge annual fees?

I have recently paid off all of my credit cards, and I am trying to up my credit score, however I have 4 credit cards with annual/monthly fees that I would like to cancel and only keep one card for emergencies so I am not stuck paying the fees.

Is it better for me to close the accounts, or pay the fees? Will I see a drop in my score from closing the credit cards?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Closing accounts with no balance, that charge annual fees?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Close the accounts. 
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

smartgurl wrote:
I have recently paid off all of my credit cards, and I am trying to up my credit score, however I have 4 credit cards with annual/monthly fees that I would like to cancel and only keep one card for emergencies so I am not stuck paying the fees.

Is it better for me to close the accounts, or pay the fees? Will I see a drop in my score from closing the credit cards?

What are your CC balances and CLs?

If one CC is enough for you, well then OK. However, you'll find that it's far better to have a CC and not need it than to need a CC and not have it.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

My balances are $0, and my CLs are $750, $300, $300, and $250.....
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Assuming the best case scenario of the one you want to keep having a $750 CL, I would tell you to first obtain other CCs with low or no AFs and higher CLs BEFORE you close the cards charging you fees.

Read CC Payoff Tactics.

See the Friendly CC link in my sig. Local CUs, FCUs, AMEX, Barclays (formerly Juniper) are but a few to consider.

I think the ideal position to be in is having multiple no annual fee CCs. You don't want the fees, but you also don't want to be subject to the whims of any one CCC. They get bought and sold all the time. Your one ideal CC today could turn into a bane tomorrow when First National Bank of Gehenna acquires your CCC.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.